Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Heads porting stages w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 12:48 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Heads porting stages w/pics

Here are pictures of a combustion chamber during different stages of porting.

In the first picture you can see a head that was removed and shipped to us. It still has the head gasket on. Note the carbon build up in the combustion chamber. Also the burnt on carbon on the exhaust valve. The exhaust valve is the hottest part of the engine. This particular head was off a stock bike with 15,000 miles.

This is a picture of a new take off head. It only has a couple miles on it from when it was run at the factory. Inside the combustion chamber is the same powder coating as the rest of the head. HD takes the fresh cast heads and powder coats the entire casting. Then they machine all the surfaces and install all the parts, ie guides, valve seats, exhaust studs etc. The head gasket surface on this head is very clean, this is because it has been milled to correct the compression ratio.

Here is a head after porting. The intake and exhaust ports have been reshaped and all the carbon and powder coat removed from the combustion chamber.

After all the porting process, the head is sanded to the appropriate grits. The intake, exhaust and combustion chamber all recieve a different surface finish.

The combustion chamber is polished to help reflect heat into the charge and to help reduce future carbon build up.

Here we have an HTCC non ported head, that has been ported by Bean. The black sharpie lines are to indicate the quench area. The piston has a similar shape. Note the rough cut ports.

The same HTCC head after porting and polishing. Note the finished ports.

This is a Screamin Eagle 103 head. Note the silver powder coat in the combustion chambers and in the ports, same as a stock head. This is a brand new never run head. It was sent out for diamond cut and then sent in for milling and porting. Note the sharpie mark indicating milling .060".

The completed Screamin Eagle 103 head.

The completed set.

Old 03-26-2006, 01:40 PM
103FLHX
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heads porting stages w/pics

Good Thread...Thanks for the pics.

[sm=icon_guiness.gif][sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 03-26-2006, 08:51 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto! It's nice to know what's being done when you send out your heads for this type of work.

Thanks [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-27-2006, 03:26 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I cant believe that Harley leaves powder coating in the ports and combustion chamber, nothing good could possible come from this but I suppose it is the cheapest way to go. Great pics, would like to see some from the port openings.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:20 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I now under stand what is ment by ported .My 2000 RG has been proted heads and bored out efi to 42 mm not shure what is .

[IMG]local://upfiles/3159/7A3C770062B64356A11B7A84038CF5D6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-28-2006, 01:21 AM
springer_
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: BVBOB

I cant believe that Harley leaves powder coating in the ports and combustion chamber, nothing good could possible come from this but I suppose it is the cheapest way to go. Great pics, would like to see some from the port openings.
You can see them all from the port openings .... just send us your heads.

Here is what happens to the powder coating in the intake, guess where it goes?

Old 03-28-2006, 06:32 AM
skijones
Intermediate

Great thread, Thanks for the Pics. I can't wait to get back so I can get my heads off to send in.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:33 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Springer, I just picked up 06 heads from ebay and took a brief look at them and thought they were carboned up but couldn't figure out why the intake looked like that., ufortunately I already have them sent off to a head porter in MN who uses a 7 axis cnc porting process, not sure exactly what that means but I will try to send you some pics when they return(could be a while) Bike wont be here for another 6-8 weeks anyway.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:58 AM
flamed1200
Novice

How much bennifit is there to gain on porting the head on a stock 1200? I dont really want to get to the point of losing alot of gas millage do to a small custom tank, but i would also like for the bike to have a little bit more power. What kind of gains sould i see with the stock carb but with a good a/c not sure what kind it is but it look like a K&N and a set of V&H pipes.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:16 PM
springer_
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: flamed1200

How much bennifit is there to gain on porting the head on a stock 1200? I dont really want to get to the point of losing alot of gas millage do to a small custom tank, but i would also like for the bike to have a little bit more power. What kind of gains sould i see with the stock carb but with a good a/c not sure what kind it is but it look like a K&N and a set of V&H pipes.
The gains are based on many different things, gas milage is also. The best thing I could recommend to find out more would be to call Bean at the numbers in my signature, he can answer all your questions and explain it a lot better than I can here with typing.