Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Screaming eagle Stage one kit for EFI

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Big J
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screaming eagle Stage one kit for EFI

I was thinking about getting the stage one breather kit (EFI) for my 06 road king custom but Im not sure if its worth it. the specs say that you get another 10 hp from this kit but I find that hard to believe. I swapped my exhast and headers out to a V&H true duals with oval slip ons and it sounds good, I was wondering if changing to this kit would compliment the pipe change and possibly by me some cheap HP. Anyone have any experience with this kit, or suggest another one?

Old 03-26-2006, 12:07 AM
100yrfatboy
Road Captain
Default RE: Screaming eagle Stage one kit for EFI

I know what the catalog says, but basically the stage 1 kit is the breather assembly and pipes or at least free flowing mufflers. That combo is what gets you the 10%. I don't know what you get with just pipes. The pipes let more exhaust out, with the breather you will have a lot more intake to send out through that exhaust, which will let it breath properly. I highly suggest both. Hope this helps. By the way the pipes and breather is the biggest % boost you will ever get for the amount of money. Another 10% will cost you alot more.

Old 03-26-2006, 01:07 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

YES do the intake, it will be well worth it in the end. Also get a programmer SERT or PCIII and get the bike dyno tuned.. Best Way to go.

Old 03-26-2006, 02:43 AM
2smoooth
Road Captain

As with the comments above.. add the Stage 1 (and SERT or PCIII). You will be happy with the results.

Old 03-26-2006, 02:54 AM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Big J

I was thinking about getting the stage one breather kit (EFI) for my 06 road king custom but Im not sure if its worth it. the specs say that you get another 10 hp from this kit but I find that hard to believe. I swapped my exhast and headers out to a V&H true duals with oval slip ons and it sounds good, I was wondering if changing to this kit would compliment the pipe change and possibly by me some cheap HP. Anyone have any experience with this kit, or suggest another one?
This is the exact dual/oval combo I have on my new SG. I also have the stage 1 air cleaner setup as well as V&H's fuelpak. I love the sound and performance. They all seem to work together perfectly.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:40 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

By changing just the exhaust and not the breather, what you are getting is burnt valves! You have in essence changed the way it breaths already, but not in a good way. This is not a choice (breather), once you change the exhaust, you must change the breather and ECU.
I'm going to be blunt here. If you don't know what makes an engine run, please for your sake, and your bikes sake, talk to your dealer. If you don't trust your dealer, find one you trust. The HP you speak of is the least of your worries.
Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not attacking you personally, I'm trying to help you avoid an expensive repair and something that will void your warranty.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-26-2006, 03:37 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

Very well said "sedbiker62". ................BG

Old 03-26-2006, 11:06 PM
Big J
4th Gear

Alright guys, your going to make me defend myself. here's the deal. First off, I dont work on engines for a living so I do bring my 20,000 dollar bike to someone who does. I do however, understand how the engine works and so I brought this same question up to the mechanic at the dealer who told me that I didnt need to put the stage one kit on. Figuring that he had his head up his a$$ I posted this question to you guys and as I suspected, I was right. I do have a question for you though "sedbiker62", I currently have the tuner kit installed and I assume that they have tweaked it so that the mixure is good, if that is the case how am I "burning my valves"? If the engine isnt getting enough air then it would seem that the engine would be running rich and not lean. My understanding is that you would need conditions to be lean in order for there to be any heat/burn damage.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:15 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

Big J, sorry it took so long to get back to you. And I want to apoligize, I don't want to put you on the defense. What "tuner kit" are you using? If you look at the engine from the perspective of actually breathing ie inhale and exhale, it may help understand. You've changed the exhale by reducing the back pressure with the free flowing exhaust. The back pressure facilitates the valves closing before the next combustion. Your engines air intake has remained the same (stock). So, with less air being sucked in and blown out through the free flowing exhaust, the possibilty of your exhaust valves not completely closing prior to the next combustion exists. If the valves are still open during the next combustion, you risk burning your valves. To eliminate that possibility, your engine needs to suck more air to be able to blow out more air (exhaust), thereby creating the necessary back pressure for your valves.
Depending on the "tuner kit" you're using, you could infact be dumping excess fuel into the engine. That however does not change the back pressure issue. If excess fuel is the case, you may be fouling your plugs and carboning up the valves among other things. The most evident sign might be carbon build up on your exhaust, fuel consumption and fouled plugs. As far as the "tuner kit" being tweaked. Unless the bike was run on a dyno and the tuner being adjusted in that manner, tweaking by ear and/or ride would take considerable ride time. Tweaking by ear/ride is not something that can be done in the shop on the lift.
I have found that if you go to 20 dealers, talk to 20 mechanics, you will get 20 different answers. I have no doubt that who ever you talk to, they mean well, however I believe like bung holes, everybody has an opinion. My opinion is do what makes sense... If you want to blow more air, you have to suck more air. Yin and yan, ping and pong, balance is everything.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Alright guys, your going to make me defend myself. here's the deal. First off, I dont work on engines for a living so I do bring my 20,000 dollar bike to someone who does. I do however, understand how the engine works and so I brought this same question up to the mechanic at the dealer who told me that I didnt need to put the stage one kit on. Figuring that he had his head up his a$$ I posted this question to you guys and as I suspected, I was right. I do have a question for you though "sedbiker62", I currently have the tuner kit installed and I assume that they have tweaked it so that the mixure is good, if that is the case how am I "burning my valves"? If the engine isnt getting enough air then it would seem that the engine would be running rich and not lean. My understanding is that you would need conditions to be lean in order for there to be any heat/burn damage.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:51 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

UPDATE....UPDATE....

Big J, after my post earlier today, I spoke with our engine builder, Dustin. Dustin told me that my response to your question was.... well.....lets just say......a little over the top. OK, I was wrong, according to him[:@].
He believes as your mechanic does. He says the chances of you burning your valves are at best slim, however he also believes you are sacrificing performance and likely fuel mileage. My scenario would only come into play in a high performance/high horse power engine. Ported heads, cams ect...
With your set up, you have infact changed the calibrations of air/fuel, but not to the point of damage to your internals. He also agrees that if anything, you will run rich with your set up. Hence the fuel mileage issue. Like me, Dustin believes you and the bike would benefit from a high flow breather. Feel free to PM me with further questions if you like, I'll be happy to ask Dustin.......

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: Screaming eagle Stage one kit for EFI