Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

exhaust wrap - making it worse?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 04:21 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts
Default exhaust wrap - making it worse?

I recently switched to a Supertrapp 2:1. I had fixed the heat problem with the stock pipes by adding XIEDs, but I wanted more sound and liked the look of the Supertrapp. I noticed that the back pipe on the Supertrapp was putting out a lot of heat--but the front pipe was not radiating more than stock. Whenever stopped or in slow traffic, my right leg was getting roasted. Tried adding and removing disks with no change. Emailed Steve Mullen, maker of the XIED, and he thought the extra turns in the rear pipe of the Supertrapp may be causing it to throw off more heat.

Today, I tried DEI exhaust wrap on the rear pipe and .... I think it made it worse. Now I can feel the heat even while moving. The wrap is keeping the air from cooling off the pipe while riding and it seems to be radiating just as much heat when stopped.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:23 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are running a closed end cap try the performance open end cap. I notice my oil temps go down when running the open end cap, it sounds better too. If you are already running the open end cap disregard.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:56 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts
Default thanks

Originally Posted by mtclassic
If you are running a closed end cap try the performance open end cap. I notice my oil temps go down when running the open end cap, it sounds better too. If you are already running the open end cap disregard.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to try an open cap. I've heard its really loud with the open cap?