Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Bluing Tailpipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:46 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 245 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Bluing Tailpipe

Hello All,

Did a quick search but didn't see anything specific to my question. I have a 2005 Deluxe that aside from K&N/Stage 1 is stock. I put a 2-1 header on, used the big city thundermonster baffle in the headpipe, and put on a straight fishtail exhaust. Has a great retro look and nice sound. Anyhow, about 1000 miles into this set-up, the fishtail from the clamp on back has turned a dark blue. I have seen thunderheaders do this, and was wondering why. I have had the bike tuned, but still get a little decel popping, which I'm going to try to remedy myself w/ my SERT. Should I be concerned about the tailpipe "prematurely" turning blue? Is the engine running too hot or lean, perhaps? Any advice or input greatly appreciated.

Ted

Old 08-26-2008, 03:20 PM
REALBOB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been watching your post for comments. Since there are none yet, I offer my opinion. In my many years of riding, I've seen a lot of "exhaust pipes" that have turned blue; hence another reason for the pipe/heat shields. Heat (generall 800 or 900 degrees +) of the exhaust close to the head causes a constiguent (nickle I believe) of the plating process to vaporize chaning the chrome color slightly to blue. The more severe the heat, the more blue the pipe comes. The further one moves from the heads, the less blue -ing because the exhaust is being cooled slightly on the way out the tailpipe.

If I'm not mistaken, what you've described is the tail pieces turning blue. If that is true, the quality of the plating done on the tail pieces are quite inferior to standards. Probably the thickness of the plating is too thin. This is my unscientific opinion; a little "SWAG".

REALBOB 08 FLHTCU- # - 48TH FOR ME

Old 08-26-2008, 03:25 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior

Thanks, Realbob, that is probably part of it. I may also have a leak where the tailpipe meets the header. I understand that if this is the case, bluing could occur 4-6" back from the leak, which is about where is it occuring. How to check for a leak is another question. Can I just hold a match (explosive?) near the seam and see if it flickers? Additional feedback welcome.

Ted

Old 08-26-2008, 04:04 PM
REALBOB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ted there are a couple ways to test. If you know someone who smokes, let them hold a lit cigarette near the connection of concern while you gently reeve the engine. If there is a leak it will blow the fire of the cigarette during acceleration. If you have a friend who is a bike mechanic, he'll probably have a small propane torch setup that has a rubber hose attached to locate leaks. Personally, I think the cigarette trick is a no-brainer.

REALBOB 08 FLHTCU

Old 08-26-2008, 06:13 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior

Thanks again, Realbob. I'll be giving this idea a test before I put the bike up for winter. Ride safe.

Ted