Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Idle Speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008 | 06:09 PM
SA315B
|
Road Captain
Default Idle Speed

For some reason my 08 Street Glide has decided to idle at 1,700. I can get it to normal by holding the throttle into the off side cushion but this doesn’t work when trying to drive slowly. I should add that this just started to happen after 15,000 miles and it only happens 80-90% of the time. Any suggestions?

Old 08-24-2008 | 06:57 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

Well, if you pull the ac you can see the throttle plate. If it isn't closing all the way then there is way you are idling fast. The bracket the throttle cables attach to has a little arm and two stops. Fully closed the arm should be up against one and fully open it should be against the other. If the cable that opens it is too tight then it won't let it close all the way. If the cable that closes it is too tight it won't let it open all the way. The looser the one that closes it is the less snap you get with you release the throttle. If it's loose enough the throttle grip doesn't move when you release it.

It could be other problems, but that's the first thing I would check. Well, after the friction screw. If it isn't the throttle plate not closing then it's the IAC not closing. If you turn the ignition on, let it pressurize and then turn the ignition off you should hear the IAC running. It's loud enough that if you hold your ear down by the ac and flick the kill switch on and off you should hear it.

If you don't hear it then get a mirror and sight up through the hole at the top of the intake. You should be able to see the silver pintel up there. When you turn the ignition off or hit the kill switch it should close then open back up. If not then something is wrong with the IAC. You can check for loose connections, you can pull it and inspect the threads and the air passage. It'll cost like $45 to replace. If you can hear it or see it running then assume it's working fine.

Old 08-25-2008 | 12:02 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

I seem to remember hearing something about the throttle-by-wire setup remembering the last throttle position before shutdown and using it as idle speed the next go-round. There's a routine with turning the ignition on and off a few times to reset it or something. I've only gathered that info in passing; I'm blessed with an 07 and manual throttle control.

Old 08-25-2008 | 02:21 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

Hehe, oh yeah, Street Glides are touring bikes. I keep thinking Super Glide when I see Street Glide. No throttle cables would make it a bit hard to adjust the throttle cables.

Old 08-25-2008 | 09:01 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

Get your bike in for the Updated Calibration to correct a "Hanging Idle" on the TBW system....

Or, you can do a manual reset... Turn on the ignition switch, then the Run switch... Let the CEL turn on and then off, Turn off IGN switch, count to 15, and do it again, Without touching the Throttle at all for a total of 4 times....

Best to get the ECM recalibrated, as it is a Recall Issue...

Old 08-25-2008 | 11:23 PM
REALBOB
Advanced

If you own an 07 or 08 with the TBW setup you'll have to master the simple technique of manually resetting the idle memory as mentioned above. These bikes are notorious for this common problem of high idle. Ironically, not all of the sales personell nor dealer service techs read the MoCo memo explaining this problem & how to manually reset the idle. With my 08 EG I experience this problem on my 4th day of ownership. When it happened, I immediately went to the nearest HD dealer who disassembled bags & seat to gain access to the ECM & hooked it up to a diagnostic computer to reset. They told me that they thought the ECM lost it's memory. The following week it happened again so I again stopped at the nearest HD service dept & a service tech showed me how to manually reset the idle memory and told me why it was idleing too high to begin with - me! I caused the problem when I didn't allow the engine to idle down before turning off the ignition.

Just 4 - 10 second cycles of IGN on & off (also 10 seconds) without cranking will reset it. Good luck! :-)

REALBOB 08 EGC

Old 08-26-2008 | 12:26 PM
SA315B
|
Road Captain

Thanks, the on-off reset seems to have done the trick.

Old 08-26-2008 | 08:53 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

TT380 – June 12, 2008 - High Idle Complaints on 2008 Touring Models
High Idle Complaints on 2008 Touring Models
Due to ’08 Electronic Throttle Control calibration strategy parameters and throttle grip sensor variability some customers have experienced intermittent changes in idle RPMs. This
condition is caused by a change in the zero position stored to memory in the ECM, as
determined by the last four readings seen at key OFF. This cannot increase engine speed
while riding but would change the idle RPM, similar to adjusting the throttle stop screw on a
carbureted model.

To correct this condition we will be making several changes to the throttle grip sensor to
reduce voltage variances and also update the way the calibration’s strategy looks at and
records these voltages. Completion of these changes and test validation will take several
months.
The new calibrations will leave the ECM powered up for 10 seconds after key OFF to complete housekeeping, allowing the rider more opportunity to release the throttle grip, so the throttle control can return to true zero before the ECM power is shutdown. This should eliminate rider induced zeroing issues. Additionally, the new calibrations will be less sensitive to voltage changes due to an increased dead-band in the operating strategy. Under certain conditions and riding styles some customers may notice a slightly different throttle feel, or comment on reduced engine responsiveness. This is due to the increased dead-band and will feel similar to a loose throttle cable adjustment on non-ETC vehicles.
Therefore, we recommend only reflashing vehicles for customers experiencing the high idle
concern and wait for the next version calibrations before updating vehicles on a wider scale.
SE Race Tuner and SE Super Tuner calibrations have not been updated at this time, and
reflashing a stock cal over a Tuner cal may only temporarily alleviate the high idle, until you
reflash back to a tuner cal.
It is recommended anytime you replace ECM, TGS or Reflash the calibration to cycle the Ign. switch 4 times, waiting 10 full seconds after keying off between cycles, to relearn zero TGS position.

Old 08-26-2008 | 11:28 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey, thanks, Bob!