Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Next step for a 96?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Mr Wasabi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next step for a 96?

I have an 07 Deuce with a Ness Big Sucker, PCIII and V&H Big Radius pipes. It's been dyno tuned also. What's my next step outside of a big bore kit for $1K or less?

Can I get some good performance gains from just adding cams and a little head work for around $500-600ish? If so, what cams (gear) and what should I be looking to have done to the heads? What's the most hp/torque that I can squeeze out of the 96? I've seen some impressive 95 numbers out there.

I'm going to be swapping out the BR 2 into 2s for the BR 2 into 1s and also MAY go with a Thundermax autotune over my PCIII. I can probably get a deal on one used and after selling my PCIII, it won't be that much more. I'll save some more with less dyno tunes.

Should I just go with the 103 HD big bore kit? I can get it at a good price from either Zanottis or Chicago HD. I was hoping to go for at least a 110 if I went with a complete kit but I'm not sure I want to spend that much.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Mr Wasabi; 08-15-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:14 AM
jerry34208
Intermediate

The "Next Step" approach is a very expensive way to go in the long run. Each time you change the flow of air/fuel in the engine you need to re-tune if you are going to see the full benefits of the changes you make. If you don't, you could cause a lean condition and create heat issues or even engine damage.

Do your research and save your money. Do it all, do it once and do it right.
BTW, great avatar!

Old 08-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Mr Wasabi
Cruiser

Thanks Jerry,

That's why I was thinking of biting the bullet for a TMax w/autotune. I'm hoping any ongoing changes will be covered with this module. Is it not capable of doing that? Nice numbers out of your 103 BTW.

Thanks again.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:42 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well as far as money goes and the fact that you may add the big bore kit you have to choose a cam that will work well with a 96 incher now and still be able to work well with a 103 or 107 later. Woods 6-6, andrews 37, head quarters 500 or even the 575. For your setup and ther way you are working towards this build and futures builds drop in the woods 6-6. Add the 103 kit and you can start making some stout power. Good luck.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:39 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mr Wasabi
I have an 07 Deuce with a Ness Big Sucker, PCIII and V&H Big Radius pipes. It's been dyno tuned also. What's my next step outside of a big bore kit for $1K or less?

Can I get some good performance gains from just adding cams and a little head work for around $500-600ish? If so, what cams (gear) and what should I be looking to have done to the heads? What's the most hp/torque that I can squeeze out of the 96? I've seen some impressive 95 numbers out there.

I'm going to be swapping out the BR 2 into 2s for the BR 2 into 1s and also MAY go with a Thundermax autotune over my PCIII. I can probably get a deal on one used and after selling my PCIII, it won't be that much more. I'll save some more with less dyno tunes.

Should I just go with the 103 HD big bore kit? I can get it at a good price from either Zanottis or Chicago HD. I was hoping to go for at least a 110 if I went with a complete kit but I'm not sure I want to spend that much.

Thanks for any input.
well if you are looking to bigger then 103 ya better think about all the extra work involved. crank work timikin up grade herad work it can get rather expensive.
do it once and do it right
as far as tuners gop i Think DOC in FL would be the best choice pm him he forgot more then most of us know.
he will set ya streight.
if you just want to bolt in a cam now for a little extra the woods 6-6 will work great. just pm doc he can get it for ya
G

Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 PM
jerry34208
Intermediate

Thanks Jerry,

That's why I was thinking of biting the bullet for a TMax w/autotune. I'm hoping any ongoing changes will be covered with this module. Is it not capable of doing that? Nice numbers out of your 103 BTW.

Thanks again.
Well I don't know if the TMax will do that but I know who does ... call or PM Doc. If you can pick his brain for ten minutes youll have all you need to know. Thanks for the complement on the 103. Doc built it, I just had to write the check. Can't wait to have him do another one. Please send money :-)

Old 08-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Mr Wasabi
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I'm going to contact Doc and see what he can get out of 96 numberswise. Can I get in the 100ish (hp/tq) range with my 96? If I can afford it, I may just try to duplicate Jerry's setup. Again, those are great numbers that I'd be totally happy with.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:19 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I'm going to contact Doc and see what he can get out of 96 numberswise. Can I get in the 100ish (hp/tq) range with my 96? If I can afford it, I may just try to duplicate Jerry's setup. Again, those are great numbers that I'd be totally happy with.
If what you really want are #s like Jerry's, save up the money and do it all at once. It will be more than $1K, but you'll end up saving in the long run to get want you wanted in the first place.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:46 AM
Mr Wasabi
Cruiser

Thanks again everyone,

If I go with the Woods cams, should I go with the gear driven 6-6 (TW-6G?) especially if I go to a 103 or 107 later? I think I'm going to go ahead and get the heads done. Who's best for off the shelf already ported heads or should I just let me tuner port them when I get the cams installed and the bike dyno tuned?

Also, where can I get the Woods cams for a decent price or do I have to go direct?

Last edited by Mr Wasabi; 08-17-2008 at 04:04 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:58 PM
jerry34208
Intermediate

Not sure about the best place for off the shelf heads.

To answer your Q about the cam choice, I think you'd save a lot of $ by sticking with the chain drive. Gear is better for longevity and maybe for power but you'd have to have a dyno to see the difference in power.

Never heard of anybody getting a deal on Wood cams BTW.

Did you decide what to do with your current crank yet?