Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

96 inch or 88 inch FI or 88 inch Carb'd? Wanna do some minor mods, what should I buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008 | 02:39 PM
Joe T
|
2nd Gear
Default 96 inch or 88 inch FI or 88 inch Carb'd? Wanna do some minor mods, what should I buy

Cams, Exhaust and either a tune or carb mods to match everything. Wanna eek some more power out of it since I'm coming from sport bikes.

Which will be more affordable to do this too? Off the shelf parts and tune preferably. Don't want to spend a bunch of time on the dyno. I like to do things affordably . I've done all that custom tune stuff before and before you know it your in $800 just to eek out 5 more hp .

I can pretty much install all this myself... Warranty compatable parts would work great, I understand harley does like stage I, stage II, stage III stuff.

On a side note I don't even know what to search since I'm very new to harleys.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Joe

Old 08-14-2008 | 03:21 PM
Puzzled
Banned

I prefer a carb over injection. Not that it is better it is just a very simple system to work on. I can rejet at 2 am on a Saturday night and not need an appointment for mapping.

Old 08-14-2008 | 04:05 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain

Agree with Puzzled, carb is the way to go. My RG was FI and my current EGC is carb. I wanted a carb for this one.

Old 08-14-2008 | 09:08 PM
Joe T
|
2nd Gear

What's a good combo if I don't plan on doing head work? I guess I'll try to find a carb'd bike.

This will be my commute to work bike and occasional road trip bike.

Old 08-15-2008 | 07:45 AM
jerry34208
Intermediate
Default Another Angle

Agree that carbs are easier & cheaper to play with but if you have not bought yet why not slow it down a bit and just look for the right bike?

Find one that has already been fixed up. There are lots of them out there and these are bikes that guys have spent thousands on performance goodies and they're all dialed in but will sell for nearly the same as stock used bikes. Likely you will find one that a guy has spent a butt load on it and kept it in his garage all clean and shinny, just got bored and wants something different. He'll try to sell it for what he wants, then realizes he isn't gonna get that much, lower the price and you give him a low ball offer.

I see these and then cut n past the add into a word document. Save the add and call the guy in a few weeks to see if he's ready to deal yet. Maybe sold but maybe not and he is really excited at the thought of finally selling. (of course you could also come across an add where the guy is doing a distress sale and you need to jump now, call and buy right away) Take your time, look at craigs list, cycle trader, VTF classified etc every day.

Last edited by jerry34208; 08-15-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-15-2008 | 11:43 AM
Joe T
|
2nd Gear

Yeah I might just do that, at first I was going to get on salvage direct and find a wrecked bike and fix her up but I'm thinking my first one will be a deluxe and I'd like to sell it in a couple years and go to an FLHX.... So I don't want a salvage title. I'd imagine I'd keep the glide till the wheels fell off.

I'll probably end up with one this winter, but have the money to buy when I find the right deal. Gonna do some maintenance on the duc and want to use it some more .