Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

FL: why not plug crossover pipe to control heat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:59 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts
Default FL: why not plug crossover pipe to control heat?

if heat is caused by the rear head pipe & the cross over configuration,

why doesn't someone make a billet plug to stick in there, where the left pipe joins the right pipe, and have a scalloped shape on it that matches the inner diameter of the pipe?

from what i have read, the stock head pipes do VERY well at low RPM, and at High RPM, the problem is turbulence around that hole.

so, just putting a plug in the pipe won't work, you need to smooth the intersection.

but wouldn't a good plug create a good low RPM (torque) pipe.
and a decent high RPM pipe (no turbulence)

Old 08-12-2008, 09:40 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure I've seen/heard of folks using a freeze plug to do what you're suggesting. Depending on where you put it, you'd end up with a useless left muffler on a 2-1 system, or a useless rear O2 sensor on a 2-2 system.

I agree, if that's what you're saying, that the extra exhaust-bathed metal under the seat is a considerable source of radiated heat. Evidently H-D sought to get rid of that particular source by moving it down below the passenger right-foot-peg/board, yet retaining, somewhat, the 2-1-2 system with its greater system volume and which aids lower-rpm torque.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:08 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

glen, was talking on stock pipes.

seems Hooker used to recommend fully closing off the left muffler with the baffle caps/discs, and just using it as a resonator.

prolly a stupid idea, but i got so many, i had to ask.

i looked at the crossover pipe tonite, you could not slide a "slug" up in there, there is a bend from the opening up to where it joins the head pipe.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:44 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, I'd meant to complete the thought that they'd moved the metal on the 09 bikes!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure what you're talking about has been described as being done right here in these forums. Maybe in one of the technical sections. Try a search.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a thread on here about converting to a "true dual" type exhaust by doing just that. You cut the crossover pipe and stick an automobile freeze plug in each side of the opening, then use a muffler clamp over the cut to hold it all together. Cover it up with the heat shield and presto--the front cylinder exhausts out the right side, the rear cylinder out the left.

There's also a guy who sells a "kit" on Ebay to do this exact thing for $125.