Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

hesitation at throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Know1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hesitation at throttle

Every Harley I have ever owned will/would often hesitate when I cracked the throttle open. Not all the time, and not at any particular rpm point ( altough most commonly from idle or when I shift up) .
Actually the one bike I owned that never did that was a '79 sportster.
I know someone reading this will know exactly why they do this, please God tell me how to make it stop !!
If it makes any differance, some of these bikes were stock carb and ignitions some were not. The bike I am currently experiencing this problem with is a 2000 dyna with Vance & Hines pipes (properly jetted).
Thanx guys.
ps. I love this bike !!!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:05 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, if you are sure the AFR is correct(dyno verified), maybe try a lighter slide spring. this will raise the slide faster and in theory helping the throttle response.It may also tweak the AFR a bit. This all depends on what rpm, load, gear..etc... you are snapping the throttle open.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:41 PM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Just rode my buddies 09 SE Road Glide,and it does the same thing!!!!I just think its has to do with the epa crap!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Know1
6th Gear
Default more please

Thanx for the info guys. Bager, I don't know what AFR means. When I said the bikes were all properly tuned , jettted etc., I just meant that's what the wrench guys have always told me. I talked to a couple of my boyz at the bar last night and 2 of them said their scooters did it too.
Now I'm curios as hell to find out how many other cats have this same exact problem with their bikes !
Anybody else has a thought on this I would love to hear about it . It doesn't make me not wanna ride , but it's irritating.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Grumkay
6th Gear
Default 97 Electra Glide Ultra Classic

don't know whether this is the same issue, but our bike has been in the shop for over a week and no-one can figure it out. They changed the throttle sensor but that didn't help.
We had the bank angle sensor changed recently and that helped with another issue (sorry I'm not very techy being a newbie), but the suggestion for the spring might just be another route to take - frustrating and upsetting - surely someone at HD must know the answer - our mechanic said this is the 4th bike with the same problem he has seen in the last month!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:58 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Simple answer= too lean in jetting, or intake leak somewhere, as well as a carb defect. Not familiar with this carb but suspect it's a constant depression type with a diaphram and a slider. The slider could be hanging and a simple #400 wet sanding will cure that. The diaphram may have a small hole in to slow reaction time of the slider.
Ron

Old 08-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Grumkay
6th Gear

Hi Ron - just checking are you referring to my question re: 97 Electra Glide Ultra Classic?
Thanks

Old 08-17-2008, 04:33 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumkay
Hi Ron - just checking are you referring to my question re: 97 Electra Glide Ultra Classic?
Thanks
No, unless you have a carb, then some of it may apply. I had picked up on Know1's post as he mentioned jetting.
Ron

Old 08-17-2008, 04:43 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My best advice...get a Mikuni carb and jet it properly. HD stock carbs suck big time. Look here : http://www.mikuni.com/fs-tuning_guide.html

Old 07-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Know1
6th Gear

Thanx guys, I've gone up one on the pilot jet and have the enricher screw way out. It's almost right but still 'hiccups ' now an again. I've owned many gas engine powered machines and nuthin but HD's nave ever given me this problem. I'm gonna try that sanding thingand if worst comes to worst (as usual) I may need to lay out the bucks for a new carb, which just seems rediculous. These bikes aren't exactly cheap.

Quick Reply: hesitation at throttle