Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Thundermonster installation tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006 | 08:57 PM
George C
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Thundermonster installation tonight.

I decided to see for myself what these BCT baffles sound like on my Big Radius..
I unbolted the heat shields and the stock baffles fell right out. I stuck the BCT baffle in and fired it up. The pitch is definitely lower, but I actually like the sound of the stock V&H baffle better.
I guess I'm the only one, but I do.
The BCT is just too plain loud, and the tone isn't "all that" to begin with.
It is deeper, but I think the tone is better on the stock baffle.
I'm running a 204 cam, and I know that has a sound all of it's own, so the stockers will stay.
First $50.00 plus shipping gets them.

Old 03-15-2006 | 02:32 AM
kimber fan
Advanced
Default RE: Thundermonster installation tonight.

George,

I had the same experience. Removed the stock BR baffles and installed the BigCity Monsters. Yes it was deeper but too loud. I did a test you might want to try this. I placed the Big City Tm's into the pipe did not bolt and then put the stock baffle in behind it. I liked it so much that I welded the TM's to the front of the stock baffles and I love the sound. Good Luck. By the way, I put some 500 miles on the bike with the TM's just shoved in front of the stock baffles.

Old 03-15-2006 | 09:28 AM
George C
|
Outstanding HDF Member

It isn't just the loudness, which borders on ridiculous, but the tone.
The BCT tone is just slightly deeper, but I think the overall tone throughout the RPM is better with the stock baffles.
Like I said, maybe it's the cam I'm running, but the stockers are a better, hot rod sound.

Old 03-15-2006 | 10:58 AM
wingt50dw
Road Master

I have some thundermonsters coming today...I am going to run them in the headers on my RK with some Samson Fishtails...I am trying to deepen the bark of the fishtails because I like the way they look, but too high pitched...I will let you know how they do.

Old 03-15-2006 | 11:40 AM
George C
|
Outstanding HDF Member

They may do a good job on a long pipe. Sometimes, long pipes sound hollow, and the BCT's may help..
However on a short pipe like I have, well, I'm not sure what everybody else is hearing. All it is..is louder..
A tad deeper, but not better.
Worse even..
It sounds very rough around the edges and piercing sharp. The stock baffles aren't much quieter, but they remove a lot of the tinny sound.

Old 03-15-2006 | 11:52 AM
wingt50dw
Road Master

Can't be any freekin' worse than the fishtails already sound...I have been told by people with the same setup that the TM baffles made the ft's sound real good...I like loud, but not $hi**y. If they don't sound good w/my ft's, I will use them with my gutted SE's. I did get the headpipe installation baffles.