Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

08 ULTRA CLASSIC / HEAT ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008 | 12:47 PM
bigjohnson
|
Stage I
Default 08 ULTRA CLASSIC / HEAT ISSUE

Just shy of my 1,000 mile tune up on the 08 ultra classic, and have a few questions I would like to address to help reduce the engine heat:
&nbsp\\;
1) I recently replaced the stock slip on's with a pair of Screaming Eagle slip on's. Thanks to the support of this forum, I now have a wealth of knowledge on the various fuel management systems out there (PCIII, V&amp\\;H, T-Max, ...). All the dealerships around me are trying to sell the Dyno tuning for peak performance at a wooping $1600. I am more concerned about heat reduction than peak performance, and would be willing to sacrifice a few HP's for a reduction of engine heat. What is a effective way to go, and not have to move to a true dual system? Once complete, what kind of heat reduction might I expect?
&nbsp\\;
2) The 08 models have the new electronic throddle control system over cables. Will replacing fuel management systems have any impact on the throddle system?
&nbsp\\;
3) I have also been told to replace the air filter with a high flow air intack system. Any suggestions on the best match?
&nbsp\\;
Thanks
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008 | 05:34 PM
ElectraGlideClyde
Intermediate
Default RE: 08 ULTRA CLASSIC / HEAT ISSUE

&nbsp\\;If you are just replacing the mufflers, you do not need a fuel management system,&nbsp\\;however, that will not cure the heat problem.&nbsp\\; These bikes run hot because the air/fuel ratio is set lean to comply with EPA.&nbsp\\; If you add a high flow A/C and pipes, you will need some type of system to richen the mixture to compensate for the increased air flow thru the engine.&nbsp\\; The stock ECM will not compensate for the increase.&nbsp\\; All of them are good products, but the best is to find a good tuner in your area and see what he prefers.&nbsp\\; All of them, with the exception of the TMAX, will need&nbsp\\;to be fine tuned on a Dyno for best results.&nbsp\\; It's best to use what your local tuner is most experienced on.&nbsp\\; The key is finding a good tuner.&nbsp\\; The TMAX adjusts itself as long as you start out with a base map that's very close to the mods that you have installed.&nbsp\\; Hope this helps.

Old 07-08-2008 | 09:59 PM
REALBOB
Advanced

Big J I was shocked (with my recent purchase of the same bike) about the heat.&nbsp\\; Even thought that I had chosen the wrong bike.&nbsp\\; A friend recommended that I remove the lowers\\; I did &amp\\; it was more durable yet still too hot.&nbsp\\; Another friend recommended that I install the Kuryakyn Saddle Shields, (#1197 - clear or #1196 - smoke).&nbsp\\; Boy!&nbsp\\; It was like riding a different bike.&nbsp\\; "The Boys" notice very little heat now.
&nbsp\\;
Like you, I'm considering a 2-1 or true dual exhaust setup to help eliminate some of the heat.&nbsp\\; I'm leaning toward the 2-1 Thunder Header unless somebody can convince me that an other 2-1 produces more hp &amp\\; torque.
&nbsp\\;
REALBOB

Old 07-08-2008 | 11:10 PM
Glyde
Road Master

The 08 bikes also have EITMS heat mgmt built in. Basically it shuts off fuel to the rear cylinder when you're idling and turns it back on again when you accelerate. I've been using it on my FLHX when riding surface streets around town and it seems to help. To enable it just roll the throttle forward for 3 sec while at idle. Turn it off the same way.

The Kuryakyn shields look great and definitely help with the heat.

I don't know how much a TD system will help as most of the heat is radiating from the rear cylinder head versus the crossover pipe but it certainly can't hurt.

Old 07-09-2008 | 11:16 PM
BB Sue
Advanced

I ended up riding an 08 as a loaner while my scoot was at the, um, yeah, that place getting a reman motor dropped in...

That damn thing was like riding a furnace in Summer.

I got back, and I was told "Uh, yeah, well, their operating design temp is 284 degrees..."

What??

I mean, I don\\;t want to sound like an idjit, but isn't that a bit, well, crazy?&nbsp\\; EPA s one thing, but are these things actually designed to burn up?&nbsp\\; My evo gets to about 150 on the oil stick, guessing maybe 220 and it starts to run like a pig in glue.&nbsp\\;

But almost 300 degrees?&nbsp\\; That's hot enough to roast a roast...&nbsp\\; slowly, but yeah,&nbsp\\; it's meat cooking temp.&nbsp\\; Sorry, but I loke my thighs cute, not well done.

Sorry, but is there any wonder why I'll stick with my old stuff?

Sus