Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Exhaust and Dyno Tuning...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 08:59 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust and Dyno Tuning...

So... if I get the Vance and Hines pipes for my fatboy and decide for some reason that my ears are about to bleed... if I put quiet baffles in does the bike need to be retuned? I would think so but wanted to make sure.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Johneb48
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust and Dyno Tuning...

I have an '04 FXST and put the V&H quiet baffles in after having the stock baffles and the bike (carb) runs great---I did rejet the carb origionally.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:36 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

hmmm... I am thinking about using a PowerCommander so I am thinking the baffells will change it enough to where it needs to be retuned... The trick here is that I am going to have the shop do all the work and they are doing to dyno the bike... I am concerned that if the pipes wind up driving me insane that I am going to want to turn down the volume and that is going to throw out the tuning that was done.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:08 AM
Unbalanced
Cruiser

WentPostal,

I would not have it retuned to start. I would have them put it on the dyno and run the sniffer for a diagnostic run and see where your air fuel is and your hp / tq are. If they are way off or your not happy then pay for the retune.

secondly I would, if your going down the power commander route call power commander and pay the i think it was 40 bucks to get the rev limiter extender they just came out with.

-harry

Old 03-03-2006, 10:49 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto the 2nd run to see where your at, but i doubt you would need to going from open to close. Now if you were going from closed to open I would say yea possibly.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

ORIGINAL: HighCompressionHarry

WentPostal,

I would not have it retuned to start. I would have them put it on the dyno and run the sniffer for a diagnostic run and see where your air fuel is and your hp / tq are. If they are way off or your not happy then pay for the retune.

secondly I would, if your going down the power commander route call power commander and pay the i think it was 40 bucks to get the rev limiter extender they just came out with.

-harry
Harry - I am assuming this is a stock 88" bike with the standard AC and exhaust upgrade Went Postal is dealing with here. On a basically stock bike, what advantage is there to extending the rev limit? Are stock bikes really leaving power on the table because of the stock rev limit? I have my doubts.

BZ

Old 03-03-2006, 02:50 PM
95BadBoy
Cruiser

Power Commander???????????????? On a carb bike???????????????

Old 03-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

I am assuming the original post refers to an injected bike (although it doesn't point that out specifically). The second post deals with a carb, but doesn't mention a PC.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:13 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

I have an 06 Fatboy EFI... Currently the exhaust is stock...

I am looking at adding a PCIIIUSB, V&H bigshot staggered, and the SE Air Kit.

Just trying to plan ahead in case my ears start to bleed with the bigshots on there.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

Here is my take on this.

The difference between Stock and Big Shots with quiet baffles will be very noticeable.

The difference between Big Shots with quiet baffles vs without quiet baffles probably won't be as much as you think.

My point is: The biggest difference in sound level is going to be going from stock to Big Shots w/ quiet baffles. I would do that right off the bat and forget trying to make it louder. If you're concerned it may be too loud, it probably will be.

Just my 2 cents.

BZ

Quick Reply: Exhaust and Dyno Tuning...