Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

OK To Punch Out Stock Baffles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Halfbuck
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK To Punch Out Stock Baffles?

I was about a day away from ordering some SEII slip on mufflers for my 05 Dyna when someone told me that if I would punch out the baffles in my stock mufflers, then I'd have the same thing. Lay it on me, fellas. True? Or, a bad idea? Thanks.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:25 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: OK To Punch Out Stock Baffles?

Bad idea. It will make noise and that's not a nice noise either. Aside from that you'll kill the torque in the lower portion of the power band. Buy the slipons instead.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Halfbuck
Cruiser

Thanks. That's all I needed to hear!

Old 02-27-2006, 11:14 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You own a very nice bike. Somehow, a hammer and a punch isn't my idea of a quality modification..
I bet it isn't yours either.
Go with the slip ons..

Old 02-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Reino
Ultimate HDF Member

You'll need the standard pipes when the EPA thighten the regulations. What we do here is put them on to take the bike over the pits and change them back when back home.

Old 02-27-2006, 04:53 PM
BladeMan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the road glide that I owned, I took my time, drilled them out with a hole saw. It looked good, but boy did it sound bad. (not good) I then jumped in the truck and headed to the local harley shop. Lesson learned ! Buy good exhaust.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:03 PM
carver
Intermediate

I just read in another section of the forum that if you are just changing the stock mufflers to SE mufflers you do not need to change the air cleaner and remap the fuel injection.
A guy at my Harley dealer said that the SE mufflers are high performance and have less resistance than the stock mufflers so you have to give it more air by installing the performance air filter and remap.

Who's right (and will you damage the engine if you just replace with SE mufflers without the other stage 1 modifications)?

By the way this forum is great.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:08 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Generally the common consensus I've seen carver is that if you just change out pipes (for the most part), you don't have to change out the rest. If you change the A/C also, then you need to rejet or remap.

Halfbuck, I punched out the baffles on my 03 Lowrider, and didn't run into any problems. But then I only had the stock pipes for about 3 months after that, then I switched to a set of HK's (and rejetted, Ness BS a/c). I didn't notice a performance loss.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:00 PM
stevent
Road Master

I punched through the baffles on mine, I thought the SE2's were too loud and tinny sounding. The bike is rejetted, running a K&N filter in a drilled out stock airbox and SE 6200 RPM race ignition. Runs great, pulls hard and sounds good. I had an SE airfilter and teardrop cover on for awhile but it rains alot around here and after I read about blue SE filters falling apart I took it off for a look-see. It wasn't falling apart, but it was covered in mud and sand from road spray, and it looked like crap was tracking along the trough where the front breather goes in so I did the Po' Boy custom job and swiss cheesed the back of the stock box.

They sand the roads here in the winter when it gets icy plus it rains all winter long so the road spray is this nasty mix of sand and muck, I don't think open filters are a good idea if you ride in the winter here. My Dyna is set-up for the conditions I ride in and and it runs and sounds fine. You do what you want with yours.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:06 AM
WoodyHD
Road Warrior

Carver, I feel your pain. I installed SE II's on my EFI bike and was told by the dealer that NO remapping was required for just a slip on exhaust install. Seems to run fine, except some "popping" on deceleration (which sounds pretty cool to me, hopefully no engine damage is occuring). Now I am thinking about some SE 16G Double Barrel's, since SE is getting ready to d/c making exhaust. After reading all the posts on this forum, I am confused as to what to do. My dealer says I need a A/C kit, SE Race Fueler, and ECM remap. Posts on this forum I have read say a SE Race Tuner is needed...? Any help from anyone???

Quick Reply: OK To Punch Out Stock Baffles?