Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

installing sert

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006 | 12:32 AM
la23170
|
Stage I
Default installing sert

well, i have been reading this forum for a year now and have gotten a lot of good information, it seems like someone always had the questions i had and i never had to ask any. i hate to just join and start with a question, but i have purchased the sert and am trying to insall it with the map for se pipes and ac. i have found this in the tuning section of the program, but can't figure out how to install to bike. do you install from the tuning section or from the data section of the sert. if have not connected it yet and have not chosen my port yet, was thinking this would bring something up when this is connected. any advise would be helpful. thanks, la

Old 02-26-2006 | 03:49 AM
Thorns
Cruiser
Default RE: installing sert

LA, please read the operation manual over until you start to understand what it is telling you. But, so you get the idea, you load the cd to your computer. Look at the calibration files at the back of the manual, find the one that is closest to your bike's mods, and write it down. You didn't say what bike and mods were, so I can't tell you what to use. Connect the serial cable to your computer's serial port, then connect the other end to the black interface module, and connect the other cable to the other side of the interface module, and the other end of the cable to the data connector on the bike. Start the tuning mode program on your computer, and after you agree to the disclaimer, a box will pop up with all the calibration files on it. Highlight the file you wrote down, and then pick a com port so you can read the currect stock file in the bike's ECM and write it down. Press the box that says "Program ECM". It should only take a little more than a minute to program the ECM. Now you have installed the "canned" calibration file which wipes off the stock file. Remember to follow the instructions when programming, as you must have the key on, and the run switch on, and when the program is done installing in the ECM, you can turn the key switch off. Wait a few seconds, and then you can start the bike, and go ride. Now what most people do with a SERT calibration file is take the same file you just installed, and bring it up on the tuner mode again, and in the advance mode change every A/F 14.5 table to 14.1, and cut the decel enrichment tables by 50%, then save the file with a new name like adding an "A" to the end of the file. You can then reprogram your ECM with this file calibration, and your bike should run a little richer, and shouldn't pop too bad when on decel. Every time you change something in the mapping you save it with a new name like "B", "C"...get the picture, then you reprogram the ECM with those changes, you can't just change the file in the ECM, you have to change the file in the computer, save it, and then reprogram the ECM with that changed file. When you get the bike running half way decent(you can read your spark plugs), you should find a SERT dyno tuner in your area, and he will fine tune the bike on the dyno with the SERT. Any new mods, like cams, head work, jugs, or pistons with need the programming to be retuned. I hope this helps, and again, read the manual. Ride safe. Let us know how you make out.

Thorns

Old 02-26-2006 | 02:31 PM
springer_
Road Captain

Check out this thread https://www.hdforums.com/m_222256/tm.htm

Old 02-26-2006 | 02:55 PM
Thorns
Cruiser

Very good article thread by Springer. The guy is great. Everyone should read this.

Thorns

Old 02-27-2006 | 12:04 PM
RANDYM
Stage II

thanks for all of the help, i finally did load the standard map for se ac and exhaust, i gave it a ride and all seems fine, no poping on decel, i left the ratio at 14.5 for fuel and air. if i have no poping should i leave it as is or should i go ahead and change to 14.1 or 13,8 as suggested by some on this forum. i was a little confused about if i had to download 3 times, once for the fuel&air ratio, once for the spark advance and once for the rev limiter. i loaded the program 3times just in case. i did read the insturctions from the sert , but did not see this explanation. thanks again for all of the good information on this forum, i read it daily and now that i finally got loggedin i hope to contribute. thanks again

Old 02-27-2006 | 02:27 PM
Thorns
Cruiser

Randy, every time you download(reprogram your ECM) you are downloading the whole calibration file which is every table in the advanced mode, plus the rev limiter. So if you change something in any of the tables, the downloaded program rewrites the whole calibration every time you reprogram the ECM, and makes the necessary changes. This why it is important when you change any programming tables in any of the components, before you quit the program, you save it with a new suffix like "A", "B", etc., so you know that this calibration is different than the last calibration. You can save as many as you want. I know some people have told me they have a calibration for touring(lean), and a calibration for power(richer), and they will reprogram the ECM before a long trip to get the best fuel mileage, and when they get back, reprogram the ECM with a power calibration for around town. Me? I have a Low Rider so I like the calibration in the middle of the road. If you read your spark plugs you can see if the how the lean calibration file will keep your spark plugs insulator damn near white(this is a hotter engine), and if you richen the A/F tables, the spark plug insulator will turn to a light tan/gray appearance(cooler running engine). If you richen too much your spark plugs will be very dark tan/gray, and your mpg will be much less than you expect. This is why most people go to a dyno tuner with an A/F meter, and get the power dialed in. If you're happy with the way your bike is running...RIDE, but ride safe.

Thorns