Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cam chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:37 AM
njesus
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam chain tensioner

Have an 05 wideglide and thought I had a primary whine issue and have did everything with the primary chain and found there were no issues with the primary chain tensioner, I then did the sound check again and found that the whine was coming from the cam chain area of the bike. Any ideas as to what would cause the whine, the manual doesn't state anything for trouble shooting on this. Whine happens when revving engine and when riding, I can hear it at low speeds pretty well and still can hear it over the exhaust a little bit when at 70. Any ideas??????

Old 05-15-2008, 09:52 AM
sf657
Advanced
Default RE: Cam chain tensioner

How many miles do you have on the bike? If you're up around 25,000 you might wanna check the cam chain tensioners. But I don't think that would cause a whine type sound. You're probably just fine. A little whine from that area I think is to be expected. If If not I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be around shortly.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:10 AM
njesus
Novice

41000 miles

Old 05-15-2008, 10:18 AM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely check the tensioners with that mileage, but like sf657 said, I have never heard of them whining. My cam GEARS whine, but at least I know they are not putting plastic junk into my oil.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:33 PM
esyrdgcwby
Cruiser

chances are with that kind of milage your cam chain tensioners are worn clear down to the metal, particarly the inner one, they are pretty easy to check , if you want the run down on how to do it I would be glad to explain .

Old 05-15-2008, 08:23 PM
njesus
Novice

please do, that wold be great

Old 05-16-2008, 12:32 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

cut your oil filter apart. If you see any orange plastic pieces then you better get the tensioners replaced soon.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:35 PM
nfarris@sw.rr.com
Stage I

You would be smart to trailer to your mechanic. I rode mine and the tensioners came apart on the way to the shop (about 3 miles). The front cam sprocket broke a tooth and it got caught up between the rear cam sprocket and and the chain and locked the rear wheel. Luckily, I was only running about 30mph and didn't go down, but I sent plastic trash through the engine and twisted the crank shaft and cams. I elected to go with the gears this time. It cost $4750.00 by the timeI got it back. I had 37000 miles on it when this happened. The gears make a lot more noise, but I have put 10,000 miles on the overhaul and have had no problems. I ride a 2005 SE Electroglide. I have heard a lot ofhorror storiesabout the cam tensioners since. I really believe these things are designed to fail. Good luck, Nick

Old 05-19-2008, 10:40 AM
njesus
Novice

I hear you bro, I have put the bike up for now as I got a price quote to change it to gear driven cam and it will cost around $800.00 that I ain't got right now but will start working towards it.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:49 AM
schmeg
Cruiser

For minimal time and patience and $63 plus an O ring and a gasket, you yourself can put in new tensioners and be good to go for another 25K.

Quick Reply: Cam chain tensioner