Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

COUNTER BALANCES

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:53 PM
HARLEYMAN69
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COUNTER BALANCES

Anyone ever had issues with the counterbalance weights on the tc88b? Specifically the chain.
What type of tensioner mechanism keeps this chain snug?

ride safe, please

Old 05-13-2008, 08:21 PM
legacycycles
Oops
Default RE: COUNTER BALANCES

I personally havent seen any issues with them.The tensioner is hydraulic,but the materiel is the same as the ones used in the cam chest.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:26 PM
HARLEYMAN69
Intermediate

oh well thats effing good news. the material they used for the cam tensioners was garbage. i hope the hyd. tension isn't as severe as it is for the cam tensioners.
thanks

Old 05-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's the same counterbalance as on the SC Fatboy my buddy has, it'll last about 30,000 miles. Had his engine torn down to replace the crank and found the chain had eaten through the tensioner block.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:51 PM
HARLEYMAN69
Intermediate

good thing i got the extended warranty. the cam tenssioners prob went out at 40k and i just caught that before it got into the metal. oh well, just hope it doesn't go out on the way to sturgis this year; i may have to get postal on harley.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:24 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We replace them when cranks are out, I can say we have not seen any that had a issue where the wear pad was torn up. You are in there and price wise not a costly item to replace. For the most part they where within the specs that HD puts out. We did several 117 in high milage bikes where they where ready to be replaced. But being that the engine had over 80K on it what can you say.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It was the back side of the silent chaines used up to 05-06 that ate up the cam tensioner shoes. The counterbalances usesingle row chaines, always have I think. The new 07-08 b engine now usessingle row cam chaines.

I know it is a space thing but there isn't too much trouble with double row primary chaines and their adjusters last a long time.

Haven't though too much about the counterbalance chains, something new to worry about, I guess. I'll do that tomorrow.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:00 PM
waynemags
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my bike in the shop after listening to a quote" normal harley noise" all summer. Finally convinced them to get permision to pull motor and look inside. Turns out the balancer chain pad was worn right through, and the rear bearing was gone.58000 kms on this bike. All from me. I know what noises my bike makes. That wasnt normal.Anyways, they put in new bearing, pad, and all seals. Got bike back in the late fall. Rode it a few times before the snow came, maybe 600 kms. This spring i pulled the heads off to put on 95 kit, and the front piston was white, rear was black. Apparentley this is normal. Under sides of pistons were brown.I believe there was an air leak for a while, that i never seen. Also a couple of weeks ago, i was on a 2000km trip. After 1000 there was a strange noise. Comp nut backed all the way off to the outer primary. Dont think it was tourqued properly. Couldnt even see any old loctite in the nut. Unfortunately or furtunately its all under warranty. What is going on with these dealers. They just dont care. By the way, when they diagnosed the rear bearing gone, they said i cuold ride it out for the rest of the season, and bring it back in the winter.Whats that, i said? Harley dealers arev all about the money now. Dont get me wrong, there are still some really good wrenches out there, but the majority just know what they are told by there service managers. Moral is, if there is something that you know thats not right, argue it with them, as there is alot of things that they are not sharing with Joe public that has to do with our rides. FYI there were some problems with some of these bearings according to a wrench that i talked to in the US.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:57 AM
russ12751
Stage III

My uncle went through this a couple of years ago on his 04 soft tail, 30.000 miles, it was a pain to fix. Went down to see him this past April, went to a local indy, he had 2 TWcam balancers on his bench , which the balancers had slightlyturned on the crank, after listning to this, I dont think I will own a TWC. I'll stick with my EVO.