Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

How much decel popping is "normal"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:39 AM
groutb
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much decel popping is "normal"?

I have an '08 RK Classic and installed Sampson Rolled Thunder slip-ons and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker. I had a recommended shop dyno it using the H-D Race Tuner. I'm impressed with the power increase - +10 HP +20 ft/lbs torque. The engine definitely runs smoother and stronger, and the engine runs much cooler now,but I get a lot of popping any time I let off the throttle. It seems to be worse at lower speeds/gears.

How much popping is normal?

Does the fact that popping is worse at lower speeds and in lower gears have any significance?

Grout

Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 AM
SK8ROD
Banned
Default RE: How much decel popping is "normal"?

i get the odd pop, more of a gurgle, and its always lower speeds, lower gears. Mine is setup perfectly so i guess some is expected, however it also depends on the back pressure from the pipes used. Having said that it sounds like yours is excessive so maybe you should hit the dyno again, but i would do a couple of plug chops first on mid range and low end, but use standard plugs, not platinum... - pete

Old 05-13-2008, 10:37 AM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Well as long as you have no exhaust leaks letting cold air in, it most likely can be tuned out with the SERT. I believe there is a decel enleament area in the map that can have fuel added or taken away???(Doc?)

Old 05-13-2008, 08:30 PM
legacycycles
Oops

It can be tuned out,but...If youre running stock head pipes youll find that if you stuff a rag in the left pipe and ride itll quit if its indeeed tuned correctly.The reason being,the left pipe does allmost nothing,about 20 percent.When riding in the pipe will pull in cool air causing a poping or "backfire".My advice is live with it or put true duel head pipes.Ive built sevreal 100hp.tc.with no poping what so ever.So yes it can be corrected with the power commander or the sert.I prefer the sert personally.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:41 AM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is very probably your exhaust clamps, tighten those down to max specs. while hot!

Old 05-15-2008, 10:48 PM
vibr8ir
Cruiser

Take the mufflers off smear a little high temp copper gasket sealer around the joints tighten it all back up go to bed wake up go ride it check tightness you now sealed up. If you still have it it's in your map... Steve

Old 05-16-2008, 01:34 PM
brainfrz
Cruiser

i purchased the sert and had my bike dyno'd. runs like a champ and no backfires.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:51 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

my 120 with a borzilla with quiet bafflehas very little to none more of a gurgle. makes people turn and look

Old 05-16-2008, 09:17 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: SEDELUXE

my 120 with a borzilla with quiet bafflehas very little to none more of a gurgle. makes people turn and look

Thats cause you got a killer build and kick *** tune! No pops here either, just the fatcat rumble for me........

Right .....................Here's JD Cycle works on the dyno with my bike...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ku9s25zyd...eature=related

Old 05-17-2008, 08:35 AM
0204665J
Tourer

Not to rob ths thread but I am trying to understand the popping noise everyone talks about to understand if I have a problem or not. I have a stage 1 (fuel motto) with properly sealed mufflers.

I had a loud pop(sound like fuel igniting) that occured occasional on start-up and downshifting. Changed the map at zero throttle per fuel motto and that pop is gone.

But I noticed on downshifting I still get a noise that sounds more like a puffing with the normal rumblings. I was told this sound was normal doing with the piston movement.

Is that correct?

Quick Reply: How much decel popping is "normal"?