Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Headquarters 103 Build Complete - Dyno Sheet

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008 | 01:30 AM
sfrisby6022
|
Advanced
Default Headquarters 103 Build Complete - Dyno Sheet

Just got my bike back today 2008 Deluxe - 103 Kit w/ 575 CAM and 10.5:1 compression.
D&D FatCat Pipe.

Dyno Sheet :

http://homepage.mac.com/scott.frisby...otoAlbum6.html

Feedback encouraged

Overall the bike seems to run well - but my gut is that that bike could be tuned better.
I was expecting the bike to be scary fast.. and it was hardly that ...It definatly pulled hard at about 3K and above -
I noticed the following :

Engine seems to run much cooler * which is nice

At times when I would get on the throttle hard - the exhaust gets really loud but does not seem to pull at all - the bike seems to respond better when I bring on the throttle more slowly.

It was my expectation that more torque should be coming on much earlier

I may go to an Indy to have it tuned.. another option is that Kevin from HQ provided me a base map and dealer did not use it...

Feedback appreciated.

Old 05-09-2008 | 07:44 AM
DRAGO1
Tourer
Default RE: Headquarters 103 Build Complete - Dyno Sheet

How did tuning for you at woodstock harley?

Old 05-09-2008 | 09:16 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Congrats on the build!

It's difficult to determine the state of tune w/o the AFR trace along the bottom of the dyno chart.

It should pull really hard right off the bottom.

1stobservation.... that does not look like any torque curve from a bike with a fatcat that I have ever seen ~ although most of what I work on are Baggers & the pipes are slightly different. 2nd observation... My HQ98" @ 10:1 made 113/111, so there is more in yours than what they got for ya.

Also, if they did not use the map Kevin provided... I bet they also did not even touch the timing tables. You probably do need to get the tune checked out elsewhere.

Old 05-09-2008 | 10:01 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member

the dyno does not indicate it but if your reving up but not going maybe your clutch is slipping under power. That is a nice looking graph, it does need the afr graph to see how it is tuned.

Old 05-09-2008 | 11:14 AM
deanz
Cruiser

When my dealer sold me my 103, the 1000 mi. "after break in" Dyno tune was included in the price.
Until then, it was set up rich.
I had picked up my bike on Sunday at closing, The bike is running great with the execption of surging while downshifting in 2nd and 1st and a flat spot around 3500 rpm.
Dealer closed Mon. Tuesday I pull into the lot and the service manager
is bringing a bike out front, He says Hey! I hear you're pulling 98 lbs @ 4000, joking I said, I should have gone with the 110!
With the bike still running, he says sounds good, I told him of the surging, He says, you also have a flat spot in the higher rpm's,
only getting about 33 mpg. and freezing your butt off! That will all change with the 1000 mi. tune, and you'll even get a print out!
He seemed sure of himself, I said cool, and never had to get off my bike!
we'll see

Old 05-09-2008 | 11:30 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

look like damn good numbers to me...congrats

Old 05-09-2008 | 02:03 PM
sfrisby6022
|
Advanced

I hope the clutch is not slipping - I did put a VPC 84T w/ an SE Spring on the bike.. - however it feels like I may have some slight slippage..
Wouldn't you think the 84T w/ SE Spring would be enough ... jeez

One thing that bothers me is that at idle in first gear - the bike jerks a bit when at a roll -
I rode her again today and no doubt about it.. she pulls really strong - but not pulling as hard as I would expect on the bottom end. .. and the FATCAT pipe is really loud when I open it up - I think I need to ride w/ ear plugs.

I know of an Indy in the Illinois area who can get this correct .. I just wish the dealer would have used my base map.. - I knew I should have reminded them !

To the dealer's credit - Woodstock IL Harley - they did an awesome job putting together an incredible amount of parts on the bike - kept me in the loop and were very reasonable on the hours.
They bent over backwards to get my aftermarket wheels on the bike. We had a few issues and they where honest and made everything good to my satisfaction. I would recommend them.
As with any dealers .. they may not be the cheapest.. but they did a good job.

Should I put some miles on the bike - before I bring it back for another tune ?

Old 05-09-2008 | 02:17 PM
esyrdgcwby
Cruiser

Congrats , Looks like respectable numbers, but you can get more out of her, possible by tuning but it is hard to tell without the air to fuel mixture line at the bottom of the table. You should request they print you off a copy of you current dyno sheet with the Air to fuel ratio on the bottom if you had a race tuner installed it should be nearly flat if they did their job properly.
As far as your clutch sliping I installed a rivera pro clutch in my bike after installing a 103" kit, it more than doubles the fricton surface of an OEM clutch