Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Gas and octane booster in the HD

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 12:19 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Gas and octane booster in the HD

If your bike is stock compression, it's only 8.5:1. Using higher octane is of no benefit whatsoever, and might actually make your bike run worse. Lower compression engines create less heat and need hotter burning gas for efficient combustion. Lower octane gas burns hotter. My 92 has never had higher than 87 octane and runs fine at 130K+ miles.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:38 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, I guess I'm going to find out how she runs on 87%, after this tank. But I will still use the same additive I have used all along. I'll post back after the next tank and let you know how she is doing and what it does to the gas milage.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:31 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior

Just got a reply from Fuel Magic

"
Charles,[/align]Fuel Magic contains no lead, alcohol or sulfur that may void engine warranties. Fuel Magic, as stated on our website, is made of different compounds of hydrogen, oxygen and carbon.[/align][/align]Thanks for your question.[/align]Sales[/align]www.fuelmagic.net "[/align]

Old 04-27-2008, 10:21 AM
wydopn231
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually run high compression and when running in hot areas or extreamly hot weather(kansas last year 104 degrees)I run boosters or additives and have good luck with some of them.Lucas fule additive doesnt boost octane but has given me better millage in trucks and Im going to test it this year on 8000 mile road trip.Ill post results in june we leave mid may and get back in early june 2 1/2 weeks of no head aches maybe some *** aches but no head aches.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:53 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior

wydopn231,
what bike will you be on ? keep us posted.
thanks

Old 04-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: madcritter

Toluene and Xylene dose not Lubricate upper cylinderor inhabit corrosion which I consider important and Duralt does as well as raise the octane 3 to 4 numbers . Which if I go back to using 87 % as required by the manual I'm still a head of the game. Like I said HD fuel additive has been used in my bike all along and at 39000 miles is still strong.

http://ezinearticles.com/?DurAlt-Fue...&id=479245
When Duralt says they "raise your octane 3 to 4 numbers", they don't mean from 87 to 91, they mean from 87 to 87.3 or 87.4, hardly a boost of octane. There's not enough toluene or xylene in their little bottles of solution to raise your octane that much. Marvel Mystery Oil does everything Duralt does, and by the prices Duralt charges, for a lot less money! You are being scammed into running the wrong fuel in your expensive motor.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:19 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior

What wrong fuel, as I stated in my 1st post the manual calls for min of 87 % octane. So if I am going back to 87% and get any boost what the problem ? I have used MVO in a number of my vehicles but never in a bike. I would have to make sure it contained no lead first. Think I have a bottle out in the shop will checksee whats in it.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior

You're correct, I was wrong assumed your bike was not stock, and you know what you get when you ***-ume things...87 octane is fine as your bike is low-compression. You won't see any benefits from octane booster with your compression ratio. I'd still consider Marvel Mystery Oil as a less-expensive top end cleaner.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:40 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior

just looked guess I must have used all the MMO I had. I am a firm beleiver in Lubricating the upperon my bike, I know how quite my oldbike is so it must be doing something right.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:59 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior

Well, broke down and put 3.6 gal of regular in the bike today. Used the last of my HD fuel additive. Next tank will be with a different lube additive. Did read where they used Marvel even for cleaning guns. Guess it could do double duty around this house.

Quick Reply: Gas and octane booster in the HD