Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Vance & Hines Turning Color After 4 hours

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 04:01 PM
tonygret
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance & Hines Turning Color After 4 hours

I just installed a pair of Vance & Hines "Turn Down" slip-ons, a power commander and a high flow air cleaner onto a 2006 Ultra Classic. I used PC map 807-213 which is the correct map according to PC asnd V&H. After only one day of riding the right pipe is turing color from where it bolts to the header pipe and about 6 inches onto the slip on. The bike is running great, in fact much better than stock and there are no backfires or misses I can detect. V&H says it is a heat problem probably due to a exhaust leak or mapping issue and they will not warranty them. I did notice a very slight leak after the first few minites but that seems to have stopped. Any suggestions?

Old 02-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Vance & Hines Turning Color After 4 hours

I think they may be right about leaking and getting hot exhaust blowing by. Did you use torque wrench to tighten the bolts down? You would be surprised with the difference between "feels" tight and "torque" tight if you didn't. Voice of past experience here. Actually it's a pretty common occurence.

And for the record NOBODY guarantees their pipes against bluing.

Primo

Old 02-14-2006, 03:45 PM
tonygret
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took off the slip-on last night and cleaned the header pipe and inside of the muffler. I double clamped the right side and there is still a trace leak there. The stock harley header has two distinct groves top and bottom and I don't see how they could ever seal completely. V&H is adamant they wont help me here. A pipe that tunrs yellow in one day doesn't seem right.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

It could be that your stock pipe is bent a little, when I installed a set of thunder monster baffles in my bike I had to rent a pipe extender, the pipe had littlerly crushed, that might be a problem, also the only way to get a proper mao is to have your bike dynoed, really, I mean the maps you download are close but each bike is different, hope this helps.