Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Bike will not start. just turns

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Kyddworks
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike will not start. just turns

Anybody have a possible quick clue why this might be.

Bike ran fine the other day but went to adjust the pushrods. I'm confident the pushrods are now fine but when I try and start the bike it just turns but never attemps to start. I'm wondering if the starter could have gone out even though that should not be it. Battery is fine.

Again when trying to start it just keeps turning over but never really connects as far as trying to start. I'm not sure of how to explain it other than that.

Would appeciate any ideas? Thanks

Old 04-15-2008, 08:50 PM
myglide
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Bike will not start. just turns

Have you double checked your work to make sure everything is connected and tight that you might have disconnected?

Old 04-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Kyddworks
6th Gear

Yes, The only thing I disconnected when doing the pushrods were the spark plugs but I even tried a new set. I checked if I was getting spark and no problem there.

Is it possible that pushrods can even keep a bike cranking but no atempt to start?

Old 04-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

You adjusted your valves too far and the valve is off the seat leaving you with no compression, or you didn't give the lifter the 5 to 7 minutes forthe lifterto blead down. Either way no compression, no start! If itis a EFI bike and the crank position sensor doesn't sence compression it cuts off the spark and the injectors....again the valves are off the seat.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:04 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Dude, if the bike "turns" it's not the starter - that's the thing that make shte bike "turn". Given that the bike is turning, and you think it's the starter, I'd wonder very strongly about the pushrods that you say you adjusted.

Runs - adjust pushrods - turns but doesn't fire....

Old 04-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Kyddworks
6th Gear

Doc,

I have a custom with an S&S 124. Wanting to ask but not sound too stupid... I'm not a mechanic by any means but always willing to try and fix a problem instead of putting it in a shop for months... I end up always reading tech manuals and/or pulling info off the internet.

With not much effort can you give me a rundown on re-seating the valves so that I could have no doubts of doing it wrong.

Thanks a million...

Old 04-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

Do this first....Take a compression test, if you don't have a compression tester take out the plugs, put your thumb over the spark plug hole and turn over the motor, it should blow your thumb off the hole, if not then the valves are off the seat.
Get back tous with the results.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Kyddworks
6th Gear

Yep looks like you are right on the money. I did both cylinders with the same results. No pressure there at all.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

Well lets hope you didn't bend any valves......I think we need to find out if the valves are bent before they are adjusted again. If you can remove the push rods and perform the thumb trick again, if you have compression in both cylinders wwe are good to go but if there is no pressure again then valves are damaged and the heads have to come off.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Kyddworks
6th Gear

Earlier I took the rocker box covers off and the rocker arms out. I justtried the test with them off and of course got no compression. Guess this is not looking good.

Quick Reply: Bike will not start. just turns