Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Engine seems to tap TOO much...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:52 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine seems to tap TOO much...

It could just be me... but the motor in my 04 Road King seems to tap a bit too much. To me, it almost sounds like the valves are out of adjusment, the lash being too loose. However, since the TC88 has hydraulic lifters, it shouldn't be tapping like this.

It seems to be more pronounced when the motor is under load. IIRC, I don't think it does it as bad when the motor is cold.

I don't know what oil is in the motor, as it was changed by the dealer when I bought it. It is clean, however. The bike has 23,600 miles on it, and is an FLHP/I. No modifications have been made to the motor that I know of. I run 93 octane gas in the bike as well.

Any help would be appreicated. I haven't even made my first payment yet, and I seem to already be having problems.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:00 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Engine seems to tap TOO much...

Some tick more than others. It sucks, but for the most part there is nothing you can do about it. Sure, you can try some fixes, most commonly suggested is adding a Baisley spring to raise the oil pressure to the top end a bit. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't..........Basically, if it is running don't worry about it.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain

I don't know... A friend of mine has a 04 Road King Custom and his doesn't tap this bad. I spoke to a couple of different HD techs and they have told me the same thing, that they all do it. However, it just doesn't sound right...

What's this "Baisley Spring"? I would assume it is a different spring for the oil pump presuure regulator thingy... (I don't know much about air cooled motors, except for Volkswagens...)

Old 04-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try PM'ing Dawg, although he may not be checking in as much for the next few weeks. I think he posted an upgrade involving increasing the size of oil drain holes in the rocker arms or something like that. Supposed to increase lubrication on the top end. Mine ticks a little too, although more at idle than normal riding, and I've thought about doing this to see if it helps.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:53 PM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master

My 06 Ultra has a range where the valves clatter. Runs great but clatters under load until you get up to speed. I am running dino oil and may change to synth. I now have 33,000 miles. I will be interested in seeing what is said on this thread.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:49 PM
kruzin
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like pinging to me. Do you have a tuner on it?

Old 04-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Neonhommer, here's the link posted by Dawg about improving top end lubrication. I still have a hankering to try it.

Dawg: It's easier to pull the tanks on the 08's If you do pull the tank to remove the pushrods, then you might as well do the oil return trick like Doherty uses as explained HERE

Old 04-17-2008, 09:03 AM
shoveltrev
Intermediate

my 01 ultra clatters like a slant six dodge, ive replaced trashed stock cames with new take offs replaced cambearings, got screaming eagle adj pushrods which ill sell to any one who wants them for 75.00 and your stock pushrds, any way new lifters too. no improvement in noise actually got worse i can now hear the pushrods hitting the tubes, checked rocker to supports endplay rite at loose spec and i suspicion its what im hearing. it makes an audible clack when you push it towards the valve. so i plann to shim that up as soon as i get some gaskets an stock pushrods. will post back on results. I find it shamefull that this motor clatters more than my 82 shovel w 43k on it never opened up. trev.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:45 AM
tcfamy
Cruiser

I have gone through the same routine as shveltrev and many others. This winter I finally cleared most of the clatter by doing three things.

1.Pulled rocker cover and Checked side lash - ended up replacing front cylinder rocker arm support because of excessive side clearance. easy job and fairly cheap part.

2.After pulling both rocker covers I loosened the rocker arm supports and moved them as far as possible to the camshaft side before tightening. They moved a few thousandths.

3.Removed push rod and covers. Ground the upper inside lip with a dremel tool and small barrel sander. Opened it up maybe .050".

Sounds like a lot of work, but it can be done in an afternoons unless you need parts. Now there is some minor clicking but the marble in the valve box at 2500 rpm is gone. Took me three years to chase it down and I couldn't have done it without the collective advise from the forum. ---- tom

Old 04-17-2008, 11:41 AM
shoveltrev
Intermediate

I took my lowers off cause i couldnt stand the amplified clatter, as an auto tech by trade the noise will drive my crazy. I also am goin to replace the compensater and sprockrt and chain as an assembly , the pri tensioner was layin on the bottem of case. I am amazed one of the screws didnt get sucked around the crank sprocket, the whole works took a beatingso for piece of mind im gonna just do it, sure do like ridinit though, the shovels so primative. everytime i switch back and forth it feels like i got a new bike. trev

Quick Reply: Engine seems to tap TOO much...