Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Engine seems to tap TOO much...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:09 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine seems to tap TOO much...

More info... Popped the pushrod tubes off to check the pushrods. The front intake (I think, the pushrod closest to the intake port on the front cylinder.) pushrod spun really easy. No play, but really easy to spin with one finger. Others required a finger & thumb.

Anyway, the bike goes to the dealer on Friday. Anything I should tell them, request, or look out for? I am planning to mark down how many miles are on the bike, and to request to see any gaskets changed during inspection. If any parts are replaced, I am also going to ask to see them.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:25 AM
neonhomer
Road Captain

A lot of people reading, but no one writing.... reminds me of another thread I did on another board...

Anyway, took the bike over to the dealer yesterday. The service manager started by telling me the usual... TC88's sound like sewing machines... nothing they can do about it. However, he said he will still look into it, and said he will take it for a test ride. Says he will be gone for about 10-15 minutes as they go for 10 miles or so. He takes off, and comes back two minutes later, and goes right in the shop.

"I can't blame you for being concerned, it is making all kinds of racket, and it's not a light load noise either." (Or something to that effect.)

So, now I am waiting to see what they say. In the meantime, I have to drag the old Honda out and ride it if I want to ride anywhere. Sometimes I miss my old Honda...

Old 05-03-2008, 09:13 AM
TymToPla
Advanced

Been reading and not writing but nothing to add except intrest. Please keep going with the updates.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:26 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: neonhomer

More info... Popped the pushrod tubes off to check the pushrods. The front intake (I think, the pushrod closest to the intake port on the front cylinder.) pushrod spun really easy. No play, but really easy to spin with one finger. Others required a finger & thumb.

You did rotate the engine so the lifter was fully down (valve closed) before you checked each one didn't you? If you did not do that, you findings don't mean anything. Of course, to do this "check" you gotta wait a while after you shut the engine off to let the lifters bleed down.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:04 AM
neonhomer
Road Captain

I did that with the engine overnight cold. Yes, I pulled the plugs and rotated the motor to where both lifters were down (in compression stroke at TDC).

The dealer called me today... said the bike is ready. They had two guys go over it and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. I am assuming they didn't go into the motor, though. <Shrug? This noise is just driving me up the freakin wall. It makes the bike sound like crap.

I guess I am going to invest in a Bailey spring (if I can find one.. J&P sells some kind of spring for the TC88 that is supposed to increase oil pressure...), and maybe the adjustable pushrods. Maybe I can get rid of a majority of the noise. My next move is to try synthetic oil. Wonder if I can find 50w in a synthetic? Either that or it's Amsoil 20w50...

I had a thread on another board that went like this. It was about rebuilding roofs in popup campers. I just kept adding info and adding info with no one posting. It's now considered required reading when someone is considering redoing their roof in their popup!

Old 05-04-2008, 12:33 AM
chaos5
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My sporty has a lot of ticking at lower RPM's. I changed to Mobil 1 V-twin at the last oil change. It still has the ticking, but it's not as bad.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:32 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain

Well, went and got it back today. Still taps like a bitch. I don't know...

I did an oil change to 50w... I think the next step is to go to 20w50 synthetic and the spring. Either that or it's a swap to adjustable pushrods... Bad thing is if I do it myself, then it will void the warranty....

Old 05-06-2008, 06:24 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain

Y`know, it just dawned on me... The service manager said they were going to check my cam tensioners, and he never said anything about if they did or not...

Looks like I need to... but too afraid of pulling the exhaust... (never fails.. I pull an exhaust and break a stud...)

Old 05-06-2008, 07:59 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you pin point where the noise is coming from? Assume the oil level is okay. What do the spark plugs look like?

Cam tensoniers check is at 30,000 miles - this usually isn't a ticking noise.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:44 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain

Oil is okay, and fresh. 50w HD oil and filter. Spark plugs have 1000 miles on them, and are okay.

Sound is most noticable when riding, where it comes up from between the tank and windshield. When off the bike and at idle, it sounds like it is coming from the front rocker cover. No weird noises from the cam cover. Putting a mechanics stephescope up to the rocker cover you can hear a defined "click" in a rythym with the rpm of the motor, like there is excessive clearance in the valvetrain.

Unfortunatley, I can't seem to get a dealer to agree with me and go into the top end of the motor. Even to take the rocker covers off and check. I have the extended warranty, so they would get paid, but they all seem like they don't want to be bothered with working on my bike.

Quick Reply: Engine seems to tap TOO much...