Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Loud pop on decel after hard acc

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:59 PM
deergrizzly
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud pop on decel after hard acc

Have 08 fat bob, 2-1 big radius, terminal velocity 2 , runs very good except
drive hard in a gear usually 3rd or 4th let off hard pop (almost back fire to me out exhaust)
any suggestion?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:24 PM
rockerheadsteve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Loud pop on decel after hard acc

I would like to know myself. Just had my rockerc dyno tuned. V&H br 2-1, sert, seac. I'm taking it back in tomorrow to see if they can get the pop on decell out of it. I cant stand the popping, very embarassing. Hope they can straighten it out. Didnt pop until they tuned it. Now it pops constantly no matter what gear on decell. Also I would like to know what people mean when they ask about results of dyno,(is that sae or std readings) is hp and tourque not hp and tourque? Whats the actual true reading?

Old 04-13-2008, 10:14 PM
sprout29
1st Gear

I have always heard if it has a lean feul mixture one will do what ur explaining. do not know for sure though

Old 04-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Decel popping is nothing more that perfect combustion in the exhaust.....so the key is to disrupt the perfect AFR sitting in the pipe ready to pop. By adding more fuel to the 2% and 0% throttle position columns between 1750 rpm and 4000 rpm will droned out the popping 98% of the time.....if it didn't stop the popping you have other issues with your tune that aren't set correct.

SAE~STD~UNCORRECTED~DIN~EEC are all correction factors and all these correction factors represent an atmospheric condition, like SAE stands for 77 degrees, 29.23' of merc, and dry air (which means 0 humidity)...this is what theUSA uses to measure hp. STD is another measurement that take the weather a little different and says 67 degrees is better than out 77 degrees so STD hp always comes out 4% higher that SAE because of the cooler air. Din (Germany) uses different atmospheric testingconditions than us too and then the EEC (Europe) has their own numbers.....now that brings us to uncorrected which means simply we didn't use any of the listedcorrection factors and got the hp the bike made at that particulator moment which can change in ten minutes with a storm coming. Bottom line it is about the weather conditions of testing horse power.....here in the good old USA we SHOULD be using SAE, 'Society OfAutomotive Engineers' all the time as a reference point for hp.
I canfeel my sleepin pill starting to creep up on me now so I beetroot twined ow......niteall...lol

Old 04-13-2008, 11:32 PM
rockerheadsteve
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Doc 1

Decel popping is nothing more that perfect combustion in the exhaust.....so the key is to disrupt the perfect AFR sitting in the pipe ready to pop. By adding more fuel to the 2% and 0% throttle position columns between 1750 rpm and 4000 rpm will droned out the popping 98% of the time.....if it didn't stop the popping you have other issues with your tune that aren't set correct.

SAE~STD~UNCORRECTED~DIN~EEC are all correction factors and all these correction factors represent an atmospheric condition, like SAE stands for 77 degrees, 2923' of merc, and dry air (which means 0 humidity)...this is what theUSA uses to measure hp, STD is another measurement that take the weather a little different and says 67 degrees is better than out 77 degrees so STD hp always comes out 4% higher that SAE because of the cooler air, Din (Germany) uses different atmospheric testing cognitions than us too and then the EEC (Europe) has their own numbers.....now that brings us to uncorrected which means simply we didn't use any of the listedcorrection factors and got the hp the bike made at that particulator moment which can change in ten minutes with a storm coming. Bottom line it is about the weather conditions of testing horse power.....here in the good old USA we SHOULD be using SAE, 'Society OfAutomotive Engineers' all the time as a reference point for hp.
I can see my sleepin pill starting to crap up on me now so I beetroot twined ow......niteall
Thanks

Old 04-14-2008, 03:48 PM
deergrizzly
Cruiser

I guess i will have to see dealer

Old 04-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Hugh Jass
Tourer

I have an 08 SG with RH True Duals, AN Big Sucker and PCIII. I have the same issue. I just put it on over the weekend. It seems to be running rich and on the decel, my pops also. I guess my question is this, In the above mentioned reply you posted, what numbers should I start with in those 2 columns? I am using a map from PC's website. Also had the same issue with the map that was preloaded from Eastern Perform., as that is where I bought it.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Old 04-15-2008, 03:30 AM
rockerheadsteve
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Hugh Jass

I have an 08 SG with RH True Duals, AN Big Sucker and PCIII. I have the same issue. I just put it on over the weekend. It seems to be running rich and on the decel, my pops also. I guess my question is this, In the above mentioned reply you posted, what numbers should I start with in those 2 columns? I am using a map from PC's website. Also had the same issue with the map that was preloaded from Eastern Perform., as that is where I bought it.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
I dont think I would try and tune my Harley unless I owned or could borrow a dynojet. Thats asking for trouble.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:23 AM
FatHogRider
Cruiser

Mine was popping as well, brought it back to the dyno tuner for the second time and they corrected the problem. They ended up adding some fuel on the low end. Gone no more popping...

Old 04-15-2008, 09:18 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

RockerHeadSteve:

If you use a SERT to tune the ECM, a Daytona WEGO III to record the actual AF ratio information, you really don;t need a dyno to get real world good running bike.

It would take a little time and experimentation, but what an accompolishment. DIY is fun, anyone can buy horsepower. All it takes is deep pockets and the will to spend.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Loud pop on decel after hard acc