Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

2004 Twin Cam Pros cons

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 04:54 AM
fiddledicksr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Twin Cam Pros cons

First I would like to thank all who has been educationg me about Harleys over the last 4 months, and you all have help with a trouble bike 1999 flhtcui with SE 95 kit. This bike has been in and out of the dealership who sold it trying to getting it running right, new cam, SERT and alot of time. I bought the bike on Oct 1 a 130 days ago and the dealership has had it in the shop for 74 days. Well they decided this week to trade me out of this bike into a 2004 FLHTCI basically stock with a SERT and Vances Hines dual exhaust system.

Can you help me understand the pros and cons of this model, I understand the electronics are better, but this bike has smog SXXT on it and is there something I can do or better yet need to know.

Are the heads ok to build, and what cam would you use?

Old 02-11-2006, 08:58 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: 2004 Twin Cam Pros cons

Well, here's the good news,....a later model motorcycle means that the factory has had more time to work out the "bugs" over the years, to YOUR benefit.......

Any Twin cam can be built. There are a few "weak links" that should be taken care of, if the time and opportunity permits.

1. Cams. Gear driven cams are the way to go here. The TC's come form the factory with chains due to noise issues......if you want a REAL Twin Cam (TC), you need to go to gear driven cams. This means an S&S gear drive conversion kit and some Gear Drive cams. Yes, it's expensive![&:]

2. Cam bearings. When you swap to gear driven caqms, put "Torrington" style bearings in the cam chest. They are the best, and the stock ones plain SUCK! they are cheapo's put in from the factory to save a buck or two in "production costs"....[&:]

3. Crankshaft bearing. The stock one is adequate. But if you do a stroker kit, or tear the engine completely apart, you NEED to do the "Timken bearing" upgrade. This allows for better adjustment of your crankshaft endplay, and is a much better bearing! (Heavy Duty!!!!)

4. Pushrods. As stated above, gear driven cams. When the gear driven cams are installed, go with the Screamin' Eagle pushrods through the dealer. They're chromoly steel, and being adjustable they allow the cams to be swapped out without taking the top part of the motor apart~!

Lastly, being a "bagger", most of the folks seem to be going with the Rinehart exhaust.

A "Stage I" air filter setup with K&N re-usable air filter is the way to go on this deal.....

baggers seem to like 95 cubes, forget the domed pistons....go flattops, easier to run on pump gas!

Visit the HD Forums site regularly, so as to not be seen as a jerk, RUB, etc.!

joe

Old 02-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Pathfinder
Cruiser

The local service manager and I were discussing 06 issues with downloads not being right on the money. We were actually haggling over whether I need a race tuner. In his opinion it may take a little while for the MOCO to get the SE stuff dialed in for 06 models. Previous models were pretty good as they've been around for awhile. Makes me glad I got an 05. They've had a few bikes going back and forth to the Dyno tryin' to get them right.

I can't imagine how you held it together for 3 months without your scooter. You must be quite a patient person to hang on that long. I get the Jones's when they keep mine overnight for maintenance or upgrages.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Unbalanced
Cruiser

Pathfinder,

Congrats on the new bike glad to hear your patience won out and you have a newer scoot to ride.

Before anyone can do anything more than make overall suggestions on what you should buy, you will need to give us some information that will better help the masses understand what you want.

What are your riding habits ... do you just like to take the bike out for normal cruises on flat land, do you ride 1 or 2 up? Do do a lot of moutain riding, do you like to race a lot light to light? Do you prefer High Speed WFO "Wide something or other Open" Once you tell us some of this information or what you have in mind it will be easier to help you come up with a combination of things you might want to look at doing.

Your heads can be reworked and your juggs can be honed out to support a 95" kit. While some will just pay for new ones pre I think i was 03 they used to just bore out yours vs selling you new ones more money for ole HD. My 03 ultra was 104 / 100 with a 95" kit using all harley parts and heads were done by Al Redman in this build.

Look forward to hearing what your after and I am sure a few of us will have some combinations for you to look into.

-harry

Old 02-18-2006, 03:43 AM
fiddledicksr
Cruiser

On the 99 I had 95 with SE heads I installed a tw5g cam, but never got to use it. I ride 1 and 2 up I ride freeway speeds and want to crank the throttle at 2500 and have pull hard to about 5500 need my tq between 2500 and 4000. I dont need HP i want tq and reliability andto feel it in the pants.,