Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Evo Cam and Tappet problems - help

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 04:17 AM
g_amey
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo Cam and Tappet problems - help

So, I have a 96 Dyna that I'm in the process of doing a top end rebuild on. I purchased the bike used and it has somewhere between 20k - 40k mileage (i'm guessing) on the rebuilt engine. During that I decided to replace the gaskets under my tappet guides. Everything was going fine until I pulled the front tappet guide. I found that a lower portion of the outside tappet guide portion had broken off gone down into the gears and been chewed up. Luckily the gears appear fine. Also, the breather gear has been swapped for a metal one. So, with that background - here are my questions:

- The tappet guide I had was a stock harley guide but had been chromed. apparently Harley doesn't make them that way (plain or black are the only options.) So, I've ordered a set of Drag Specialties tappet guides. Anyone heard any problems with them?

- The tappets themselves look in good condition. Any need to replace? (I'm on a budget)

- The Cam (I believe it is a Crane cam) appears in good shape from my perspective. However, I've had a shop tell me I need to replace it cause it's worn. I'm a little sceptical. What should I look for in wear? There are no flat spots or grinds on it. Also, how can I determine for sure who's it is and what type of lift/duration it has?

- The broken tappet - only logical reason I can come up for why it's broke is that the Cam hit it. However, the cam appears to be in spec for movement (free play.) Is this possible?

- I have the upgraded bearing (Torrington - spelling???!!!) already installed in the bike. Does this need to be replaced? If I replace the cam? If I don't replace the cam?

- If I need to replace this bearing is there any way to pull it without the special tool (which I don't have?)

- What is the "alignment tool" for the Tappet's? It appears (from the picture/description) to just be a bolt - possibly tapered. How can I work around it - since I don't have one???