Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Just not happy with harley power.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 05:24 PM
TakeNoCrap
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just not happy with harley power.

Bought a 07 Streed Glide. Had new heads, 103 jugs, 585 cams you name it done. Got 108/109 out of it. But heres the deal with that build. Its power band is around 3000 to 4700 rpm. Anything before that is stock in the power range. Im not impressed. I owned a S&S 117 before this harley and let me tell you, that 117 had power and would walk. Iv got $5K in my engine now and its a joke. engine runs hot and the power band is high and you name it. It will run about 115 top end .Any good builder knows what im talking about. I want that power like I had with the 117 S&S engine. How do I get that on my streed glide ? Good reliable "QUIET" power .
Thanks for the help.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:50 PM
StreetglideOK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Just not happy with harley power.

Sounds like too much cam for your riding habits. Need a cam with power in the low end. Who did the build on the engine? May want to talk to Headquarters, GMR, Hillside.. etc and see what they say.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:07 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

What was done to the heads?

Old 03-30-2008, 06:13 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior

If you used the S&S cam then you went the wrong way, your #s kinda reflect it.
What was done to the heads?

I run a HQ 95in. and the torque is pretty good in my Dyna. the lowest dyno ive seen with the cams i have is 110 lbs of torque and the curves usually start @ around 2500 rpms and go pull to 5k.

If you switched to a big thottle body that may have hurt you as well.
The best #s i see are the ones that have A/F and Timming adjustments too. tunning is important and I dont think and hour or two on the dyno will get them.
so there is many thinkings to consider.

If Scott at Hillside rings in he'll have some good info that may really help.
Just be patient

Old 03-30-2008, 06:49 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

Mentor i agree ......but there is probley more there then you think. first off the tune is probley off and there is more in there. howmuch will depend on what was done to the heads what was the compression ratio also what are you using to tune.
Scottuses woods cams for a reason because they work as long as everything else is set up for the combo your running.
Now there are some 103 out there that i know of Doc built oneand Hillside built one for a buddy of mine and they will run probley with that 117 you had or pretty close.
give either of them a call tomorrow they will help you out.
maybe a simple cam swap and abetter tune will point you in the right direction.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

You can't expect to have the low end grunt of a stroker motor no mater how much money you dump in it. The 117 motor had at least 110~115 tq at 2000 rpm and that is not reachable with a 103. Like SEDULEX said I have a 103 package that produces 119/119 but the tq at 2000 rpm is only 90~95 lbs at best. I would suggest a better cam, like a TW6H, with a 10.5:1 ~10.8:1 compression and a final drive gear ratio of 3.37:1. This won't get you the 115tq at 2000 rpms like the 117,but it will stretch your arms under the acceleration gains you will get.

Doc

Old 03-30-2008, 07:44 PM
TakeNoCrap
Cruiser

what about selling my harley engine with the mods and buying a S&S 123 ? Wouldn't it bolt in ? Im sick of all this dumping of money trying to get power out of this harley engine. If any of you ever had a S&S 117 or 123 you would know, It's like night and day. the 117 had grunt power at any speed or rpm. I can't bwelieve so many people buy these underpowered motorcycles. It's unreal.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:23 PM
StreetglideOK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TakeNoCrap

what about selling my harley engine with the mods and buying a S&S 123 ? Wouldn't it bolt in ? Im sick of all this dumping of money trying to get power out of this harley engine. If any of you ever had a S&S 117 or 123 you would know, It's like night and day. the 117 had grunt power at any speed or rpm. I can't bwelieve so many people buy these underpowered motorcycles. It's unreal.
I think you are a lil frustrated, and perhaps confused. No one buys a harley to be a power monster. However, you should look up PhilM, and Dalton on here, and check out their builds if you are interested in power. Nuff said

Old 03-30-2008, 08:31 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What exhaust are you running?

It sounds like duals...It sounds kinda like my RK after BB, cams, heads and the whole works.Mine just felt like a dog and I was pissed. So I removed th duals a put on 2-1 Thunderheader and it was night and day. I gained alot more lowend grunt. Just a thought......

Old 03-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I see a stroker in your future!

Depending on your CR, I agree with the others, you are running a cam that turns on later in the powerband to produce hp, not tq. Woods TW6 with about 10.2:1 CR, Woods TW7 with a bit more, HQ500 with about the same, HQ575 with 10.5:1, Andrews 54 all will bring the tq down in the rpm range where it is really useable.

If you are running HD HTCC CNC heads or others that can hold up to .650 lift, the Woods TW400-6 produces some real good numbers but I caution that the heads must be set up for it as if not, it will be a noisy top end.I ran that cam in my 103 and it produced real nice numbers.

Talk to a couple of builders and see what they have to say, you may only be a cam change away (with a good tune)from acheiving what you are after.

Quick Reply: Just not happy with harley power.