Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

tech question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 04:02 PM
softale_03
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tech question

I have a 2003 softail and I put synthetic in everything, ( engine ,tranny and primary). Since changeing I have noticed that it really "bangs" when it goes into first gear and it shifts hard going into third. Any sugestions as to what it may be and if it might be related to the synthetic oil? Thanks Henry

Old 03-04-2005, 05:32 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Default RE: tech question

What type, brand and weight did you put in the transmission?
I have always used Redline MTL or Royal Purple Synchromax as both have manual transmission additives to work with the synchronizers and make shfting easier. I haven't had this problem, but a friend of mine on a anniversary Deuce had something similar (difficult shifting) and had put in some type of 50W 'Synthetic Power Shift Transmission Fluid' and put pack HD oil and the shifting cleared up right away. I couldn't (and still haven't) convinced him to try Redline or Royal Purple and think his oil sales friend just sold him the wrong stuff...

Old 03-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My older bikes 98,00 always "bang" into first....but third no issue

Old 03-04-2005, 06:54 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

Homer,
Hell that's the way I know it's in first!! [:@] It's kinda like the potato-potato-potato.... It's got to be a Harley and ain't nothin wrong with either sound!
David

Old 03-04-2005, 07:42 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Assumption here: You're putting 20w-50 motor oil in all three holes. Yeah, HD sez it's OK, but some trannies don't seem to like it. Drain the engine oil outta the tranny and replace it with a bonafide gear oil. If it still shifts into first & third too hard, it needs a good lookin' at. If third clears up and it still bangs overly hard into first, try adjusting the clutch per the manual.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:27 PM
softale_03
Intermediate

Tx I put in the screamin eagle syn 3 20w50 in everything. I do plan to adjust my clutch when I pull the primary case here soon. Putting on a new chrome one. I know the first gear clunk is normal for harley and I think by the clutch adjustment that should help that. Thanks for the help so far. Also could someone help me with the correct tension for the primary chain and how i would check that.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:49 AM
taurusjim
Cruiser

change the screaming eagle out of the tranny..if you want to use synthetic use amsoil or another synthetic gear oil not 20w50. harley likes to recomend their synthetic in every hole , but most people have found that screaming eagle in the tranny is not the best.

Old 03-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Well I hate to admit that I have also had 2nd thought's on the 20w-50 in the trans, it appear's that after riding about 1500 mile's on the 20w-50 in the trans the shifting has gotten a little worse than when it was first put in, poss shear down, I dunno know but I am going back to the 75w-90 syn gear oil the next time to compare, and to tell the truth it's probally better anyway.

Old 03-05-2005, 05:39 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: taurusjim

change the screaming eagle out of the tranny..if you want to use synthetic use amsoil or another synthetic gear oil not 20w50. harley likes to recomend their synthetic in every hole , but most people have found that screaming eagle in the tranny is not the best.
What weight gear oil do you use? We got into a vocal discussion over beers about this... There were three groups.. Lighter weight, 20W50 Motorcycle Oil and 75W90 gear oil....
David

Old 03-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Iceman
Tourer

i just got back from getting the oil changed in my 04 RK Classic. i went amsoil 20w-50 in the motor, 10w40 in the chaincase and 75w-90 "severe gear" in the tranny. shifts like butter. big improvement!!!! i suggest this to anyone switching to synthetic.

Quick Reply: tech question