Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Anyone put an andrews 54 in a stage 1 96 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:40 PM
mtb017
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone put an andrews 54 in a stage 1 96 yet?

Hey Lab, No problem. I am looking to put this cam in a Road Glide, not a Dyna like you have. Baggers need a bit more "bottom end torque", which the Andrews 54 is claimed to have. I'm not trying to say this is the "right cam" for a dyna, however. Being 100lbs lighter, the 37 with it's higher torque band, just may be the ticket for you. I probably should have clarified at first that this cam was going into a road glide. Still I don't think the 54 should be out of your consideration though, if that helps. I was just looking for real world numbers or seat of th pants experience from those that have put the 54's in an 08 bagger.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:24 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I hope this will help: I email Stephen Mullen at nightrider alot,here iswhat he recently told me:

"
Because of the gearing on the 96CID engines, the use of very mild cams is highly recommended. You want a very low RPM power band. The TW26, TW37 orTW54 make very good cams for your engine. I have seen at least one installation of the TW-54 cam in a TC-96 engine without remapping the ECM. http://www.tuneyourharley.com/gallery/v/dyno/TC96/shows the dyno sheet for this engine.[/align][/align]There is probably another 15-20HP available by remapping the engine, but this shows that you can upgrade without doing anything. If you put a cam like this in and don't feel you have to tune your engine to get every possible extra HP from the engine, you can tune with something as simple as the TFI www.techlusion.com . By using the TFI without installing the supplied to the O2 eliminator, the O2 IED remains in control of the mixture in closed loop. Then you can adjust the TFI for heavy/full throttle yourself."[/align][/align]So, you see he is not "behind the curve" he just needs to update his website,I reminded him to do so, he is ahell of a nice guy and will answer any questions.[/align][/align]

Old 03-29-2008, 06:57 AM
roadchaser
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an 08 Heritage and was thinking about the Woods TW 6-6(510) liftor the Andrews 54h.(555) lift. chain drive cams for the 96" motors.
After a lengthy discussion about the cams i chose the Woods over the Andrews.
If you are looking for more torque for an extra 100.00 you will get it from these 6-6 cams and worth every penney.My .02 cents.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:27 AM
skyhook
Tourer

there are a couple of dyno charts for your combo at harley tech talk...usually around 80-85hp and 90-95 tq...it's a great bagger cam and you'd do better to increase compression to 10.0

Old 03-31-2008, 02:51 PM
labfreak
Road Master

OK, here's more fuel for the fire ie,recentemail from nightrider:

Actually I was probably the one that told some of the riders about the TW-54. I found out about it before Andrews had it on their own site. On my www.tuneyourharley.com site I've probably got one of the few dyno sheets published using the TW-54 and the particular bike the cam was installed in did not even remap the EFI system.[/align][/align]You can run the TW-54 without changing springs. I believe that Andrews is only delivering the 54 as an "H" version, which is particular to the 07/08 bikes.[/align][/align]The only reason I don't have the Andrews cams listed on my web site is because they have not offered to sell cams to me directly (despite the fact that I was helping them sell their cams). I like this cam, but I like the CycleRama CR-3 even better. The CR-3 cam has made 91HP/108ft.lb. torque in an FLH with slip-on mufflers. That is some serious power. I can probably get the CR-3 cams for your bike for $300. You'll also want to get the adjustable push rods. I recommend the S&S pushrod kit with the tubes because the ones supplied with this kit make it easier to make the adjustments. The S&S kit would be $199. Shipping/Insurances would be $15.[/align][/align]http://tuneyourharley.com/gallery/v/dyno/TC96/are the dyno sheets for the TW-54 and CR-3. The TW-54 cam tuning was not optimized where the CR-3 was properly tuned. But the TW-54 is not going to make the type of power the CR-3 did.[/align][/align]If you still want a price on the TW-54, I'll get it for you.[/align]

Old 03-31-2008, 04:13 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

Nice numbers from the CR-3, but that's an apples to oranges comparison there labfreak.

VicW.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 PM
labfreak
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Sleeps In Trees

Nice numbers from the CR-3, but that's an apples to oranges comparison there labfreak.

VicW.
OK...I'm guessing the cyclerama vs 54H is the apple and orange? How you figure? Really want to know, just learning here.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

The CR-3 was tuned & had free-flowing AC & aftermarket pipes while the 54 run was untuned & a stock bike except slip on mufflers...whole lotta difference there dont'cha think? Sound like a level comparison to you?

VicW.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

Here's a dyno pull from another forum - 87HP/102TQ: stock 96 w/54's, good pipes, & TMAT (no AC):

VicW.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

No comment labfreak?

VicW.

Quick Reply: Anyone put an andrews 54 in a stage 1 96 yet?