Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

my engine build

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 06:27 PM
empireking13
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my engine build

hi all i would like some input as to whats being done to my bike. its an 03 electra glide std. im having the motor done. im getting edelbrock heads with je flat head pistons and woods cams. im also having the throttle body port matched to the intake manifild.im also changing the crand and putting on a 103 fly wheel and a screaming eagle oil pumo. my compression will be 11 to 1 but the corrected compression ratio will be 9.4 to 1. any input would be helpfull. also this is costing me about 6300.00 thanks!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:21 PM
drdave
Cruiser
Default RE: my engine build

well until the experts log on -
nothing against the edelbrock heads, but if you are buying them, i would have spent the money on a good high end porting of the stock heads - had them set up for the cams and compression desired.
what cams are you using?
compression sounds high - don't push the limit on performance and end up with detonation / pinging problems.
this being done at the dealer or independent shop?

Old 03-21-2008, 09:45 PM
empireking13
Intermediate

im having it done at an independant shop. the guy doing the work says i will have no pinging problems. i decided to go with the edelbrock heads because they are ported and have bigger valves and springs. the heads dont have compression releases. the guy says the design of the edelbrock heads requires no compression releases.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:52 PM
empireking13
Intermediate

im using woods cams with a 650 lift.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:01 PM
drdave
Cruiser

if the edelbrock heads are coming out of the box, being ported does not mean the same as having a professional head porting shop port a set of stock heads. all professional head porting shops will upgrade the springs to match cam lift, and upgrade the quality of valves, etc. they usually customsize the intake and exhaust to match what you are trying to achieve - more torque or bigger hp numbers at the higher rpms. usually a vastly superior set of heads compared to name brand heads out of the box.

i sure would recommend compression releases. even if not necessary, you would always have them if they indeed were needed. i don't think you can run the risk at the compression you are designing into the build.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:24 PM
empireking13
Intermediate

i dont know everything about the heads but the guy tells me these heads go for about 1800.00 bucks a set now. he did say they were ported but i understand what ur saying about matching up with the cams and all that. im trusting the guy knows what hes doing. you can visit his website at godspeedoakland.com any more input you have would be greatly appriciated. thanks!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:34 PM
skyhook
Tourer

I went to edelbrock website and looks like they have 72cc and 88cc heads...guess you're getting the 72 if you'll have 11 compression on a 103...9.4 corrected compression is high for a bagger and high for no compression releases...you'd come out way ahead by having your stock heads ported and shoot for lower corrected compression...woods cams work great

Old 03-21-2008, 10:38 PM
empireking13
Intermediate

its supposed to be going from an 88 to a 95 in. the heads were in a glass case so im guessing they are out of the box. does it sound to you like the guy does not know what hes doing?

Old 03-21-2008, 10:50 PM
skyhook
Tourer

was that shop on that sportbike show on speed network?...other than that I don't know anything about them...a good shop in that area is rc cycles in hayward

Old 03-21-2008, 10:55 PM
empireking13
Intermediate

there has been several changes made along the way. i was going with cnc heads with a screaming eagle big bore kit and cams. then i decided to use the edelbrock heads so he had to use the edelbrock pistons with the heads. then instead of useing the edelbrock cams he decided to use woods cams to achieve the 650 lift. then he calls me yesterday and says he has bad news. he says the cams would not go in and he found the crank to be way out of spec and/or bent. so now we are replacing the crank with i think a stroker cam with a 103 stroker fly wheel with timkin bearings and a screaming eagle oil pump. does it sound like the guy knows what hes doing or am i getting taken for a ride.

Quick Reply: my engine build