Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Dented Exhaust Head Pipe- Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dented Exhaust Head Pipe- Problem???

Hi All,
I had my bike in for a set of cam upgrades. The mechanic removed my front exhaust pipe to replace the cams, etc. When he put it back on he did not adjust it right and the brake plunger was tight against the pipe causing it to drag. Without bothering to adjust the exhaust pipe, he takes it off and proceeded to bang a big dent in the bottom of it to clear the brake plunger.
Now the pipe has only about half the flow going through it even though its sort of flattened out. I'm not worried about the chrome damage because the pipes are wrapped, but I am worried it there will be any performance loss or problems with him doing this.
Anyone out there with enough knowledge or experience in tuning to give me an answer either way before I take it back in and complain to the shop manager about his mechanic? I noticed the dent when I was cleaning the bike a day later after I got it home and parked it in the garage.
Thanks for any help on this.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:01 PM
noacon
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dented Exhaust Head Pipe- Problem???

Sounds like you need to make them replace your pipe. I would for sure find a differentmechanic and I really question why someone would beat a dent in a pipe to make clerance for something that was working fine and had nothing to do with what you took it in for. Pertty sorry if you ask me....well you did! Good luck

Old 03-20-2008, 10:17 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you need to change the name mechanic to butcher. Bike came in witout a dent and it should leave without one.
Ron

Old 03-21-2008, 08:52 AM
lecomte38
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You got a problem all right. That f'n wrench should be beaten with the pipe. Can't tell if the flow is restricted without pics and what mufflers you run.