Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Help with Cam Selection - Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:20 PM
skulznflames
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Cam Selection - Please

Folks,

I know this has been gone over a thousand times but Im not really able to understand too much of the technical speak. Can someone tell me in laymens terms what info I am looking for ?.

I have an 07 96ci Fatboy, Sert & pipes. and am wanting to do a cam upgrade.

Research has me believing the best choices would be Andrews 37h, 54h or Woods TW6.

My local indi mechanic leans towards S & S cams, which S & S cam can you reccomend for my setup ?.

Out of all the above does one stand out as the most simple bang for buck improvement for my bike.

Look forward to your help.

Rob.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:40 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts
Default RE: Help with Cam Selection - Please

ORIGINAL: skulznflames

Folks,

I know this has been gone over a thousand times but Im not really able to understand too much of the technical speak. Can someone tell me in laymens terms what info I am looking for ?.

Research has me believing the best choices would be Andrews 37h, 54h or Woods TW6.

My local indi mechanic leans towards S & S cams, which S & S cam can you reccomend for my setup ?.

Out of all the above does one stand out as the most simple bang for buck improvement for my bike.

Rob.

Skulznflames:::: not an cam expert, my son 07 Duece, just installed SE 204's cams/ 4* advance gear and stage 1. results max 80 hp and 94 tq at 3400, and a flat Tq line from 2.7k to 4.5k above 90#'s on his dyno.
Our 1st ride two days ago here in IN. His Duece walked away alot faster than before in a 6th gear roll on at 60mph against my 07 Heritage stage 1.

So take a look at the SE204 cams with 4 degree advance gear, this is the most popular cam at our dealership.

Last edited by oct1949; 01-03-2009 at 07:19 AM. Reason: spacing
Old 03-16-2008, 09:48 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What do you want to improve? Do you want more passing power out on the freeway, or stoplight to stoplight racing speed, or just a rumpity-rump idle? Some people will try to sell you what THEY like, rather than what YOU want.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: mp

What do you want to improve? Do you want more passing power out on the freeway, or stoplight to stoplight racing speed, or just a rumpity-rump idle? Some people will try to sell you what THEY like, rather than what YOU want.
Very well said....mp....right on!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:45 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for the woods.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:42 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

S&S cams are all geared for top end power with their earlier opening exhaust valve. If your looking for WOT running get your self a S&S cam but if it is usable tq down low where you can use it the 37,TW6, or the 54,for the 103' there are more cam selections for a 103' build butthey will take a bit more cubic dollars to fit them into the build.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:02 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: skulznflames

Folks,

Rob.

If your shooting for bang for the buck you should find a cam that will offer the broadest power band possible, The Woods would be a great choice, or the Head Quarters TC-500 cams.

I have no experiance with the new Andrews grinds, but I hear they work well.

If your Indy is stuck on $&$ parts, find a new guy with an open mind!

Old 03-17-2008, 09:51 AM
spankustang
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm putting the Andrews 37H cams in mine this week!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 AM
piekarj
Advanced

I second the HQ set. I have some of their cams and they ar awesome.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

skulz: Here is the cam comparator from Big Boyz website. Just select the cams you are considering and read Doc1's explanation of what the cam specs mean in terms of where the tq and hp come from in his earlier post today:

http://www.bigboyzcycles.com/tccams.htm

I have thepre-08 version of the HQ 500, HQ 0034, and find it is an excellent bolt in cam on my otherwise stock 88 w/Rinehart TD's and SE a/c '04 EG. It has an intake close 4 degrees earlier than the Woods TW6 or Andrews 26 which probably results in earlier torque as mentioned in Doc1's explanation referenced above.

As for your mechanic's preference for S&S cams, you might consider having him explain that to your satisfaction since HQ, Andrews, and Woods are all very reputable cam suppliers--it's your money after all that's going to buy the cams.

Last point--the HQ 500 is a cam that you could enjoyably use should you later decide on a 103 and a bump in compression from what you now have.

Quick Reply: Help with Cam Selection - Please