Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Power Commander setting help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts
Default Power Commander setting help needed.

I posted this over in the touring section as well. Woul dbe appreciative for any advice I get here. Thanks in advance.

Been running the PC III on the past several bikes with satisfaction. Got an '08 Glide with the TC96, S/E air filter and Wild Pigs slip ons - and, of course a Power Commander III USB.

I just got the bike before Bike Week and didn't want to break in a new engine sitting in traffic so I brought the Street Bob down to Daytona this trip. While there I met one of the notebook computer toting "techs" at Miller's Parts down on Route 1 in South Daytona. While they were busy screwing up my buddy's bike (that will be a whole separate thread) I was talking to the Power Commander guru they had there - you know, the guy running around with the notebook computer pretending he knew everything. I get talking with him and share with him my meager set-up. He asks me what map setting(s) I'm running and I said, just the ones that George Miller wrote on the box when he shipped me the Wild Pigs thatI originally had on my '06 RKC.

He looked at me and said, "You're kidding, right."
I said, "I'm not kidding. I'm just breaking her in but she seems to run fine."

He said that the settings for the '06 will not work right in the '08 and thatI have to change the settings to one of the '08 maps. He scrolled through his '08 touring maps; there were not many and said, "Here ya go - use this one." It was for S/E Stage 1 air filter and Samson Slip ons.

Well as soon as I got back from Daytona I loaded the exact map that he told me. Now, the bike seems OK (nothing great) in low and maybe mid but anything near wide open she is a dog! Matter of fact, I took her out the other day and did some WFO runs. The bike would not go past 92mph and would actually seem to run a little stronger off of WFO. The 92 mph top speed was with just me on the bike, no luggage, 3/4 fueland going both ways on the highway so as to average out what was (one way) a stiff headwind.

When I got back to the house and parked the bike, the right pipe was black with soot. Don't even want to think what my plugs, heads, valves and the like look like. She's way too fat.
I know from flying piston engined aircraft that power comes at a lean setting - but not too lean. She pushing too much fuel at WO throttle positions. Anybody have any suggesitons?

I'll be calling Dyna Jet but wanted to run this past the brain trust here. Besides - you guys are open on a Sunday evening!

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:10 PM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Power Commander setting help needed.

Man i feel your pain.I havea PC III on my 06 Road King a/c,true duels,stock ecm and iv'e only had a basic run without the tune.My air/fuel ratio is all jacked up,hence poor fuel mpg.I plan on putting my HQ 34 roller cams in soon ,then i'll pay for dyno tune.I'll make sure he saves the peak hp/tq map as well as fuel saver map on my laptop so i can switch on my own.
I wish the guys at dynojet update their maps with some econo maps instead of the max hp/tq canned ones on the website.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:34 AM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Power Commander setting help needed.

ORIGINAL: GMONEY220

Man i feel your pain.I havea PC III on my 06 Road King a/c,true duels,stock ecm and iv'e only had a basic run without the tune.My air/fuel ratio is all jacked up,hence poor fuel mpg.I plan on putting my HQ 34 roller cams in soon ,then i'll pay for dyno tune.I'll make sure he saves the peak hp/tq map as well as fuel saver map on my laptop so i can switch on my own.
I wish the guys at dynojet update their maps with some econo maps instead of the max hp/tq canned ones on the website.
i highley doubt that the ones on their site are for max hp/tq. those maps are never set on kill because they would be running to lean. if anything they are a little rich just to make the engines last longer.