Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

idle help

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:59 PM
MercRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle help

I hope someone can help me. I just tried getting ready for the season and my bike is giving a buch of problem.

It worked fine before I garaged it. It started when I fired it but everytime I stand my bike straight up it would die. So i thought my float was stuck. took my carb apart and cleaned it and not its starts fine and runs when its leaning and when standing staright up, but now when I let the choke off the bike dies. When I give it gas it runs, but when I let off it dies.. Is it still because of the carb or is it beacuse I need to play with the throttle cable? I dont know what else to do.. its a s&s super g carb..

Old 03-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: idle help

Find and remove the pilot jet...clean it out and reinstall it....all will be good. (look in the manual for the location if you don't know) The jet itself has a VERY small hole to feed the fuel and it clogs very fast especially when the gas turns to varnish from sitting a long time.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:52 PM
MercRider
Intermediate

cool thanks.. the pilot jet is also what they call the slow jet right? bcause I also think that my bike is running a little rich cause the spark plugs where black. but i'll try cleaning out the jets and see whats up.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes the pilot jet is also called the slow speed jet.I bet your plugs are black from running with the enrichner on.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:03 PM
MercRider
Intermediate

cleaned my jets. blew air nozzle threw it when i had it apart and still doing it.. is it because its 40 degrees outside? I put new plugs and it still fouled it. I have my idle mix screw turned at around 1 1/4. I have spark in my ignition, but when i turn the choke down the weaker the spark until it dies.. i dont know what else to do. i'm 22 so cash to take it to the shop is next to impossible.

After its dies, once in a while before it could start again, it would have a very loud pop, sounds like a gun shot.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:06 PM
wydopn231
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont think any harleys ever had this but some of the jap crap has a kick stand switch.Other than that Id check wiring for ignition sounds like a short of some kind to me usually the problem wouldnt be carb related from the sound of it.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:01 PM
myglide
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first guess would have been that your gas started to varnish up your carb too. You say you cleaned it good, right? Floats are very sensitive. Are you sure you gotit back on undamaged and set at the right height? Will your bike stay running if you turn the choke/enricher off will keeping the idle up with the throttle? Do you have fresh gas in it?

Old 03-21-2008, 11:47 PM
MercRider
Intermediate

At first that what i thought because I move my connectors around when i fitted my gas tank im goin to put on this summer. but i reconnected them the right way. everything works except when i turn the choke down.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:55 PM
MercRider
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: myglide

My first guess would have been that your gas started to varnish up your carb too. You say you cleaned it good, right? Floats are very sensitive. Are you sure you gotit back on undamaged and set at the right height? Will your bike stay running if you turn the choke/enricher off will keeping the idle up with the throttle? Do you have fresh gas in it?
i found a bunch of varnish around my idle mixture screw, but cleaned it. the bike can keep running w/ the choke off if i give it gas. its ifi let the gas off the bike dies. my friends at work told me just try to re-jet the carb to see if that works. i just might have to do that. i dont have any problem w/ gas flow if i give it some throttle, its when I just let it ilde. how can itell if the float is ok?

I really appreciate all your help guys.. I know these problems are simple to some people, but its just complicated for me.