Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Harleys with carbs ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005 | 01:46 PM
SPRINGER
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Harleys with carbs ?

I realize that the new Harleys come out with efi and carb options, but I was wondering if very many people have gone to the more traditional carbed motor or are they going more to the efi model? I know that this topic has been talked about before, but I just didn't want to go back into the history and find it. I realize that efi is the more modern way of setting up an engine, but for the average rider, I was wondering if efi is really worth the extra money. When I had my carbed bike in the early 80's I didn't have any noticeable problems with it. I understand that the CV carbs that Harley has now are supposed to be pretty good, that's why I was wondering. THANKS

Old 02-28-2005 | 02:25 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Default RE: Harleys with carbs ?

I went to the Republic HD shop in Houston a few weeks ago and they happened to have an event going on, Wow a lot of fantastic bikes... Anyway several of the folks their with, what I would have thought would have been EFI, bikes were in fact carbed... They all said the same 'you can't get the horses out of the EFI' and found that interesting and would have thought with all of this new age fangle programming stuff EFI would be better.... I am curious as well, what gives?

Old 02-28-2005 | 02:53 PM
ApeKing
Road Warrior

The FLHRS I am waiting on is carbed. I could already be riding if I had opted for EFI. The EFI has more cons than pros for me. Costs more, neglible milage and horse power gaing plus changing a jet is a WHOLE lot easier than downloading, remapping, and spending even MORE money on a power commander!

Old 02-28-2005 | 03:07 PM
Bannana Boat
Road Captain

I personally think for everyday riding the EFI is the way to go. No choking or dealing with coughing, spitting or idling problems. If you read the disscusion a few months ago about this you will see that some of the mechanic and dyno shop people chimed in and it seemed to relate to the fact the EFI is better to tune and modify.

Old 02-28-2005 | 03:41 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member

I like to turn key and go....My Fatboy is carbureated and its a PIA. If your a tuner get a carb, my 0.02....

Old 02-28-2005 | 04:23 PM
investorsc
Road Master

It is easier to get the carb to do what you want. The EFI is, IMHO, more consistent..... I would like to know the percentages of Carb to EFI...I am sure EFI takes the majority.

BRUCE

Old 02-28-2005 | 04:37 PM
05RdKing
Road Master

I went with carb; the EFI is smoother running, and without a doubt, very capable of putting out the power, and easier to deal with for most people, but you need to know what you're doing with it and have the correct tools (computer setup, handheld devices, etc.) and knowledge to get the "most" out of it, and in most cases need to go back to the dealer for corrections / recalibration after you make any changes yourself - I'm old school & have no problems dealing with carbs in any way, and if I had a problem on the road, it would be much easier for me to fix & diagnose, especially if it was a fuel problem on carburetor vs. EFI. At the moment, with what's available performance wise (and cost also), to me there is no doubt carb is the way to go. Just depends on what you're looking for, and what kind of updates you have in mind for later down the road.
just my $.02

Jim

Old 02-28-2005 | 06:27 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

I went with a carb for my to-be-delivered 05 Night Train. Cost and ease of repair were the 2 main things that factored into my desicion. Also, I read a number of articles that gave high marks to the stock carb with regards to altitude compensation, etc...

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-28-2005 | 07:48 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

I have a efi bike and now I'm glad I do, it was not what I wanted at first but it was all that was coming in but my bike pull's really hard and I think it pull's better than a freind of mind's and we have the same bike except his is a carb model and that was back when mine was stock and his had been rejetted and a K&N airfilter installed, so if you ask 20 carb guy's they'll say that's the way to go if you ask 20 efi guy's they will tell you the same and by the way there is a guy who does alot of custom dyno tunning and he told before I bought a bike to go with a efi becausethe carb is old tech, go figure.

Old 02-28-2005 | 08:29 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

I just got plane fed up with carburetors giving me grief. Did you ever try to synchronize twin SU's? Never could get the carburetion on an MGB to work properly. Then I had two Chevy trucks nothing but carburetor probs. Heck I even put a Weber on one of them: head ache. I always had to jet and rejet while racing depending on high desert, low desert, enduro, ad nausium. Then along came fuel injection: no more problems. So I guess it just transfered over to when I considered the Harley. The choice was between to identical models one carbureted one EFI. The EFI won hands down and it had laced wheels.

Quick Reply: Harleys with carbs ?