Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Checking cam tenshioners

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 04:53 PM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Checking cam tenshioners

Going to drop my pipes Sat. and check my cam chain tensioners as I only have 3 months left on warrenty and have 24000 miles. Got my cam cover gasket, exhaust manafold (SE) gaskets, and small dental mirror. Any thing else I need to check them? I have no plans to replace them as I will be doing a BB and cam change this fall after warrenty is out. Any thing preticular to be awear of or is it as it seams pretty straight foward. Also will I loose much oil? Also will be replacing my cam cover, trans. side cover and trans. trap door bolts with polished s.s grade 8 while I've got the pipes droped . Thanks for any replys!!

Old 01-27-2006, 08:55 PM
fiddledicksr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Checking cam tenshioners

Just pulled mine before Xmas, it is easy and striaght forward. Use the kick stand and you will only loose a oz of oil if that. when installing SS bolts be sure to use blue locktite to prevent bolts from freezing up down the road. Because your motor is alum and the bolts are SS then can cause corosion within the threads. remember to follow torque seq when reinstalling cam cover.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

OK Terry, Your're gonna have to change your name. I don't think there is room on this forum for another TERRY

Terry

Old 01-28-2006, 12:03 AM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain

Thanks. Got my bolts from Alloy Boltz Inc. 12 point grade 8 pollished s.s. Shop manual doesn't call for any locktite on stock bolts. I know I need something to keep them from seazing up w/ the stainless and was going to use Neverseaze. Called the co. I ordered bolts and they said eather would work but they recomended Neverseaze. I got both what are your thoughts? Also I know HD lowered cam cover torque specks since my 04 mainual came out. Seems the ear that lower bolts screw into that are machined into case were splitting out in a few cases. Have to replace right engine case. Don't wont that!! Told on another forum 90 inch/lbs would work fine . Can some one confurm that with a newer manual and also double check the trans. clutch release cover (side trans. cover) mine calls for 84-108 in/lbs and the trans trap door cover 5/16 bolts call for 13 to 16 foot/lbs and 1/4 bolts call for 84-108 in/lbs with a newer mainual? Thanks Will start this around 11 tomorrow if it doesn't monsoon. Will try and post some pict. of cam tensioners and new bolts when I'm done.

Old 01-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Wolf
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I plead ignorance. Which plate and where is it that needs to removed to check the tensioner on a Fatboy?

Old 01-28-2006, 12:58 AM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain

Cam cover. Its the cover on right side of engine under push rodes behind your pipes. Its got 10 ,1/4 inch diameter bolts that hold it on.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:55 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

OK, I plead ignorance. Which plate and where is it that needs to removed to check the tensioner on a Fatboy?
Oh Wolfie, after all that oil talk, you ask "which plate"?

Take a look at the odd shaped "plate" directly below the air cleaner The one just behind the front pipe on your scoot with the round circle and the five fastners around the edge of it and the HD logo in the center

The whole cover has to come off to do it. (10 --1/4" bolts)

Oh just one more thing here, If you go to the dealer for a gasket for this job, please refer to it as a cam chest cover, not a plate

J/K ya bud!

Old 01-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Wolf
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, Hey, let's watch that now Bill, LOL! When I stop stirring up ****, you'll know I'm dead. BTW, I'm not dead yet so you know more is coming......

Howl.

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

Oh Wolfie, after all that oil talk, you ask "which plate"?

Take a look at the odd shaped "plate" directly below the air cleaner The one just behind the front pipe on your scoot with the round circle and the five fastners around the edge of it and the HD logo in the center

The whole cover has to come off to do it. (10 --1/4" bolts)

Oh just one more thing here, If you go to the dealer for a gasket for this job, please refer to it as a cam chest cover, not a plate

J/K ya bud!