Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Dyna Scramin Eagle Muffler opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 06:38 AM
Hal81
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna Scramin Eagle Muffler opinion

Would like some advice from "those who have gone before" on a comparison of Screamin' Eagle slip on mufflers. I have a 2005 Dyna Super Glide (FDX), and currently I am still running the stock mufflers that came on the bike.

I am trying to decide between the Slash Cut (#80366-99), Baloney Cut (#80258-99) and the Tapered (#80061-00) slip-fit mufflers. Here's what I would like your opinions on: Is there a difference in sound (volume and quality) among these three SE II variants? Also, is there any difference in power? I imagine any the three will add both volume and power, but would like the best option--if there is any real difference at all. I'm not looking to be an anoyance to my neighbors, just want to sound more "Harley-ish" and improve my po-TA-to. Improvement in horsepower is a nice bonus, though I am pleased with the power I already have, so that's not a huge consideration.

Thanks for your help!

Hal

Old 01-26-2006, 08:59 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dyna Scramin Eagle Muffler opinion

Baloney and Slash cuts are the same thing, they just weld the mounts on a different side, and stamp them different. Be careful what you buy - HD makes slash cut mufflers that are just stock mufflers w/slash cut. No increase in sound or performance. You want make sure you get SEIIs.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Hal81
Novice

Thanks for the reply. I went back and verified that these are, indeed, Screamin' Eagle part numbers. Okay, I understand now that the baloney cut and slash cut are basically the same muffler, just mounted differently. Is there any difference in sound and tone between these and the tapered version (Part #80061-00, "Screamin' Eagle Slip-Fit Torque Mufflers - Tapered"). The exact mufflers I'm talking about are

http://www.suburbanharley.com/catalo...ProductID=2333 (Baloney cut) vs.

http://www.suburbanharley.com/catalo...ProductID=2140 (Tapered)

Thanks again, all.

Hal

Old 01-26-2006, 11:37 PM
nutsy
Tourer

nope,no difference,i like looks of slash down better plus you dont see carbon in muffler,much cleaner look.
ORIGINAL: Hal81

Thanks for the reply. I went back and verified that these are, indeed, Screamin' Eagle part numbers. Okay, I understand now that the baloney cut and slash cut are basically the same muffler, just mounted differently. Is there any difference in sound and tone between these and the tapered version (Part #80061-00, "Screamin' Eagle Slip-Fit Torque Mufflers - Tapered"). The exact mufflers I'm talking about are

http://www.suburbanharley.com/catalo...ProductID=2333 (Baloney cut) vs.

http://www.suburbanharley.com/catalo...ProductID=2140 (Tapered)

Thanks again, all.

Hal

Old 01-27-2006, 12:07 AM
wa state rider
Advanced

With risk of being tarred and feathered I would like to offer an alternative solution. I like the look of the stock mufflers and exhaust system on my Heritage so I have resisted changing them even though I don't like the original sound from them. My solution was to remove the original liner (use a 1-3/4" good quality hole saw on the end and they slip right out) and make new liners from some 1-3/4 exhaust tubing. I have made 6 pairs for different bikes now and they all have sounded great. The ones I have on my bike have 6 3/8 holes drilled in them so the muffler packing still has a little effect. Without the holes they would be straight pipes. Save a few hundred dollars too which I have used to buy other trinkets.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:01 AM
nutsy
Tourer

mark all ya hadda do was get a 11 inch long by half in. metal bit stick it in muffler till it hits baffle drill 3 holes in each.sounds almost identical to screamin eagles.dont even gotta remove to do.
ORIGINAL: wa state rider

With risk of being tarred and feathered I would like to offer an alternative solution. I like the look of the stock mufflers and exhaust system on my Heritage so I have resisted changing them even though I don't like the original sound from them. My solution was to remove the original liner (use a 1-3/4" good quality hole saw on the end and they slip right out) and make new liners from some 1-3/4 exhaust tubing. I have made 6 pairs for different bikes now and they all have sounded great. The ones I have on my bike have 6 3/8 holes drilled in them so the muffler packing still has a little effect. Without the holes they would be straight pipes. Save a few hundred dollars too which I have used to buy other trinkets.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:18 PM
LeavenworthJeff
Cruiser

I have an 05 FXDI as well. I just replaced the stock mufflers with SE II baloney cut (80258-99). Like said before I thought the Slash downs looked better but it will kick up dirt and dust up off the road. Dealer said 9 out of the 10 they sold last year were for the baloney cut. I don't need to be like everybody else but I have seen people with the slash downs and other downward pipies that do scatter dirt and dust up off the road. All this being said, if you want any SE mufflers you better hurry as HD will no longer offer them after Memorial Day.

PS I love the sound and performance that these bring. Man those stock pipes really choke the bike down!!!

LeavenworthJeff

05 FXDI Silver

Old 01-27-2006, 02:22 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One advantage to the downturned mufflers is they are "quieter". The produce the same amount of noise as the others. But becuase the sound waves hit the ground first and then scatter, they are perceived as quieter. In some areas of the US, that's getting to be an issue.

Old 01-27-2006, 09:06 PM
theyogawarrior
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dyna Screaming Eagle Muffler opinion

I've been told that Cycle Shack slip ons are the same as SE since they use to be a supplier to HD. Not to mention much cheaper. Come to think of it anyone know where I can buy a SERT at a discount?

Old 01-27-2006, 11:55 PM
wa state rider
Advanced

mark all ya hadda do was get a 11 inch long by half in. metal bit stick it in muffler till it hits baffle drill 3 holes in each.sounds almost identical to screamin eagles.dont even gotta remove to do.

In my first attempt, that is what I did but they were still too quiet due to the slotted baffeling. My second attempt was a piece of straight pipe but that was too loud. (sounds like the three bears does'nt it) I experimented with adding some holes until I got the right sound (the six 3/8 holes in the sides of the pipe did the job). I just finished a 2004 Sportster and we used 10 5/16 holes to get the sound right for the owner.

The right sound is ususally an owners choice so I keep modifying until I achieve the sound needed then I add a small tack weld with a wire feed welder on the tip to hold the pipe in the muffler.

I was riding with a freind of mine the other day who has drag pipes on his night train and his were just a little louder that mine. I think that at some point i would like to go to 2" ers just for the throat i ness of the sound.

Happy cycling.