Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Alittle advice on somebody who found out the hard way about pistons!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:18 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Alittle advice on somebody who found out the hard way about pistons!!

Most of you guys that do your own upgrades get good advice on parts and I do most of the time as well, so what the deal on pistons, I'm doing a 95" upgrade and wanted to go with SE pistons but I let my parts guy or indy talk me into a set of KeithBlack flatops, good pistons right, well maybe on the part about them making good power ect., but not as a user freindly piston, I could have just sliped the SE pistons in the jugs and slid them over the studs and slipped in the wrist pin and snaped in the c-clip and Bam, I'm done BUT NO, I have to put the pistons I have on the rods first, then install thespiral locksfrom hell in to hold the wrist pins in, then you have to put a ringland support on then install the rings, now if you have all the proper tools to do so it's still a pain in the azz, ya know what I mean, I destroyed one of thespiral lockstrying to put that sob in.
Anyways sorry about the long post just wanted to give you some advice that will make your build a whole lot easier than mine.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:37 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Alittle advice on somebody who found out the hard about pistons!!

Those snap rings are a pain in the a ss, but I found a technique that worked for me and they went in pretty easy.

KB pistons are very good, probably overkill in a mild-95" upgrade..........but no harm done by using them.

Steve

Old 02-23-2008, 08:27 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Alittle advice on somebody who found out the hard way about pistons!!

On the Spirolok wrist pin locks, I took a sharp pointed pick, like an ice pick, ground the point of it flat, and with it am able to walk the Spiroloks in by getting them started and going in a circle to guide them into the groove. Good idea to practice withone pistonon the bench with an extra lock first.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Alittle advice on somebody who found out the hard way about pistons!!

Geargrinder that is good to know. I though I was the only person who was challenged with these things. I'm sure they work well though.
I've got Spirolok and they almost made me cry. Broke out in a sweat on a cold day. I did something like you with a tiny flat screwdriver.
I think they would be useful in very high RPM situations, above 7-8000. Otherwise ,"C", clips are enough.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:02 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have done 2 builds recently using the spiral locks and I liked them and once you figure out how they work you will realize they are superior to the C clips. I used SE on mine and I like the quality of the pistons just as well as the KB's I do like the Spiral locks better. I found the secret is to stretch them out about twice what the directions call for. It helps to have two sets of hands so one person can hold the piston/rod steady while the other person installs the spirals.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:31 AM
zoomie67
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the engine builders I know says KB = Ka Boom

Old 02-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

ORIGINAL: zoomie67

One of the engine builders I know says KB = Ka Boom
Well if that's the case I'm in trouble, the engine builder I dealt with said he has never had a problem with them, now several years ago when they first came out there were some problems in some car engines that I heard off but it was because the guy's that bored would not have the clearence right, you have to run a tight clearence with these pistons, mine are set up at 0015 or 1 1/2 thous, that what they wanted (KB) that is.
Now back to the pistons, I'm not just talking about the spiral locks, after you finally get them on then you have to install a ring land support on the piston and install the rings, now this can be a little tight because your doing this while there in the motor.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:14 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: Tn.Heritage

ORIGINAL: zoomie67

Now back to the pistons, I'm not just talking about the spiral locks, after you finally get them on then you have to install a ring land support on the piston and install the rings, now this can be a little tight because your doing this while there in the motor.
this is where two sets of hands comes in handy. I also put some thin tape on the piston to keep from scratching it with the support ring. The actual rings go on easy but the support ring is pretty stiff and make sure the little nipple is facing the right direction because the support ring is a bitch to get off again.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:11 PM
srob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They were a pain to install, but worth it. After all the engine mods, I dyno'd at 104 hp, 111 tq. I wish I had a 6 speed now. I feel like I could use another gear. Next upgrade???

Old 02-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i hate spiral locks....i have poked holes in my thumbs many times .... i also dont care for KB pistons.....here's a short list of quality slugs for you to consider.....Wiseco...Ross...JE....CP

Quick Reply: Alittle advice on somebody who found out the hard way about pistons!!