Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

PCIII map question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 06:57 PM
JWilson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII map question

Today I found an advanced map for a 2005 softail... SE/AC and aftermarket performance pipes etc. I had not previously found an advanced map for my '06. I have a free flow AC and installed Supertrapp Mean mother Longs. Anyway... I compared the map to various maps I have used and found them to be different, but not really all that different. I loaded the map and almost instantly noticed very different throttle response and exhaust sound. The sound of the exhaust is much smoother both in and out of gear than any map I have tried. Can someone tell me why this is and if I am playing dangerously?

Old 02-21-2008, 07:05 PM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: PCIII map question

You are living dangerously!!

Just kidding. Well, there is no well I can tell you for sure if it is running lean, which is the only condition that I am aware of that would damage anything. If it sounds good, runs good, and you don't see your head pipes glowing red, you are probably just fine. The only way to really know is to put it on a dyno and find out. A dyno run to just check the AFR with 3 pulls, usually will cost you about $30. That would be enough to tell you how close the map is to your engine. Once you have that you will know. Otherwise, sounds like the map is running good, so just ride the damn thing.

The only way to get a perfect map is to have a good tuner tune your bike, they are all different. Even then, as the conditions change, th map is no longer perfect, but just close. So, they can be off quite a bit and the bike will be just fine.