Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

VH Short Shots - Baffle Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Clifton63
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VH Short Shots - Baffle Recommendations

I have some VH Short Shots (straight cut)on my 1994 FXDWG with no baffles. They are too loud and low/mid torque is not good. I want to quiet them down to a low rumble, I don't like the high tinny sound. I also want my low/mid torque. I have done research on this site and cannot come up with anything with my pipes. At this point I am eyeballing the Khrome Werks HP drap pipe baffles, but am afraid to fork out the $ to experiment. Does anyone have any experience with short shots and putting quieter baffles in? thanks.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: VH Short Shots - Baffle Recommendations

I have no actual first hand knowledge of these , but they look like an idea for you.
http://www.bigcitythunder.com/pages/product-fit.html
Years ago we used to just measure the inside of the pipes and see how long and straight the muffler was inside.
Then pick the longest and smallest bore that would do the job (sound wise).
I've seen a bunch of generic baffles that would match for size , and the worst case you would have to drill one hole
in each muffler to anchor them.
Just make sure of the inside diameter and clean the bore a bit , and you should be good to go.
The short baffles from Big City would almost have to work for you.
Just a thought.
Mick

Old 02-24-2008, 03:21 AM
Tate
Stage IV

I don't understand. VH sells standard and quiet baffles for the short shots. Do they not offer them for your particular bike/sytem? Why not just buy the VH baffles?

Old 02-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Clifton63
Advanced

VH does not make a "Quiet Baffle" (1 3/4") for the short shots that I have. I called them and asked them. They do have the original stock baffles that I can purchase but I don't want to shell out $75 not knowing what they sound like or getttingfeed back for them. I have read many negatives onthe big city thunder baffles, but would like to know ones experience with these on the short shots. Anyone?

Old 02-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Waterse
Advanced

I have the short shots in my Heritage, without the baffles it was obnoxious. I got the stock baffles, They quieted it down to a reasonable level. They are still a bit on the high side as far as tone. Not a deep rumble but a more aggressive growl and a litle less tinny sounding. The low end torque was helped a bit but is still not the greatest. I just did a big bore kit upgrade so I am thinking about swapping out to V&H 2-1 pro pipe to help with the low end power. Will probably have the short shots available if anyone is interested.