Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Air filter kit question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008 | 06:51 AM
moneill
|
6th Gear
Default Air filter kit question?

I am in the market for a performance air cleaner kit. I just put on my 06 Standard Vance & Hines big radius pipes and adynojet kit and was wondering if I go with a Ness big sucker kit which is more practical a stageI or stage II kit. I know a stage II would flow better but do I need that for my set-up? I would eventually like to re cam my engine and put a big bore kit in it. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-19-2008 | 06:11 PM
billdo
Stage III
Default RE: Air filter kit question?

apparently your question is way to technical for thefolks on this site

I can't really say due to fairly new to harleys but I am in the process ofdoing DJ and KN air filter kitwhich I would assume is stage 1

Old 02-19-2008 | 06:55 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

The difference between the Stage I and Stage II Ness kits is the size of the air cleaner. The website states the Stage II flows 20% more air than the Stage II. If it were my purchase, and you're really considering a big bore kit in at some time down the road, buy the Ness Stage II kit. It will flow more air which you'll need with the big bore, cams and other performance work. Better to get the air flowing right the first time.

The V&H pipes open up the exhaust on the bike and the only way to get the full benefit is to have a lot more air coming in. If you rejet for the pipes with the proper air cleaner, you should be good to go. More air out needs more air on the intake side to get everything working correctly.

Old 02-19-2008 | 07:14 PM
shawn08roadking
Advanced

I was in the same boat and went with the stage 1 since im not upgrading till next year. The stage II will stick out more and I think that would annoy me more thank anything. Also you can use the football cover or the round cover on the stage 1 and the stage II i dont believe you can use the football.

Old 02-20-2008 | 05:30 PM
04 rkcrr
Tourer

You are right, stage 2 you cant use the football cover.

Old 02-21-2008 | 06:13 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

We subscibe to the bigger the better when it comes to air filters, especially when your planning any upgrades.

Old 02-21-2008 | 06:15 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

We subcribe to the bigger the better when it comes to air filters.

Old 02-22-2008 | 03:18 PM
08Fatty
Tourer

The K&N 3910 kit allows use of football. It does stick out a little more than stock but does not bother me any. I think it is 3/4" thicker than the 3909 or stock setup.

Old 02-22-2008 | 05:58 PM
Mick
Road Warrior

If you really mean practical , the BS Stage 1 should work fine.
You will be hard pressed to need more than the maximum flow it will allow.
The stock cover will fit and I didn't really notice that it sticks out farther than stock.
The increase in flow over stock is pretty noticeable and the mixture will change.
Good bang for the buck.
Mick

Old 03-02-2008 | 10:08 AM
wydopn231
Banned

according to few things ive read.American Iron has been doing series on air cleaners.And theres big ollowing of other on this site its hard to beat Doherty piece for quality and flow ablity.Might not need extar flow when filters new but as it gets dirty the extra well be nice to have to over come this.

Quick Reply: Air filter kit question?