Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

A couple questions...IRT SE street legal 103" kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Default A couple questions...IRT SE street legal 103" kit

I have ALOT of questions, but I will start with just a couple right now. I probably wouldn't have to ask these if the search feature was working.

First, what makes one kit "street legal" over the other one? If I have aftermarket pipes, does it matter what kit I get anyway? Because it states that the Cali kit is only street legal if I use stock pipes.

I'm confused...

And, is there a better kit out there? (Yes, I read about 26 pages in this forum because the search feature is not working). If so, what?

Old 02-14-2008, 10:18 PM
wadejesu
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: A couple questions...IRT SE street legal 103" kit

Street legal means meeting emission and noise regulations, There are all kinds of better kits out there, depends on how deep your pockets are, How much you want to do, Pull engine, Bore cases etc. I have built several bikes and engines in my home shop, Had to do it all over ?, Just leave in stock.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: wadejesu

Street legal means meeting emission and noise regulations, There are all kinds of better kits out there, depends on how deep your pockets are, How much you want to do, Pull engine, Bore cases etc. I have built several bikes and engines in my home shop, Had to do it all over ?, Just leave in stock.
Ok. So, I understand street legal = emissions & noise regs, but why 2 different kits? Is there a difference?

About the better kits...price would have to be in the ball park to the SE kits + or - a couple of hundred dollars.

One last thing...why leave it stock? LOL

Old 02-15-2008, 05:59 AM
TNBagger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look at the two 103" kits offered in the '08 parts and accessories catalog, you will see that the street legal kit (Stage II)has 255 cams and catalyst mufflers. Those two items are not in the Stage I kit. The 255 cams give better HP and torque results than staying with the stock 204 cams. I have the Stage II setup on my '08 Ultra with two piece street performance mufflers (64985-07). The bike is quiet and did OK on performance (86 HP and 96 ft-lbs TQ). Better flowing mufflers would up the dyno numbers but would also be louder which I can't tolerate anymore due to bad ears (tinnitus).

Old 02-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TNBagger

If you look at the two 103" kits offered in the '08 parts and accessories catalog, you will see that the street legal kit (Stage II)has 255 cams and catalyst mufflers. Those two items are not in the Stage I kit. The 255 cams give better HP and torque results than staying with the stock 204 cams. I have the Stage II setup on my '08 Ultra with two piece street performance mufflers (64985-07). The bike is quiet and did OK on performance (86 HP and 96 ft-lbs TQ). Better flowing mufflers would up the dyno numbers but would also be louder which I can't tolerate anymore due to bad ears (tinnitus).
Cool, thanks.

I failed to mentioned that I knew the street legal kit had the 255 cams. That being said, I guess I just blew offthe catalystmufflers because I have an aftermarket pipe. So, set those 2 differences aside...they are the same kits?

Another question. What's the difference between the '07 and '08kits?

Sorry guys for the newb type questions...this is how you learn and I've never been afraid to ask!

Old 02-15-2008, 03:27 PM
TNBagger
Cruiser

If you can find a dealer with last year's catalog, you can see if the the '07 vs. '08 part numbers match or not. BTW I tried a set of '07 CVO Ultra catalyst mufflers (like the ones in the Stage II street legal kit) on my '06 Ultra with a 95" build and they killed the performance - too much back pressure. Stay with your slip-on after-market mufflers and go with the 255 cams (worth as much as 5 HP and 5 #'s TQ over the stock 204's).Yes, the two kits are the same if you take the cat mufflers and the 255 cams away from the Stage II BB kit. My local dealer actually bored my cylinders out instead of replacing the jugs - he said that he had seen some of the kit cylinders that didn't mic out evenly all the way up and down the bore (not too good). I got a Stage II build for $1450.00 out the door including a download of map 106 for my SERT.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:47 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior

if you are not worried about a street legal kit sinse you got rid of the cats then ditch the se255 cams too. smog cams. tons of better cams to go with.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TNBagger

If you can find a dealer with last year's catalog, you can see if the the '07 vs. '08 part numbers match or not. BTW I tried a set of '07 CVO Ultra catalyst mufflers (like the ones in the Stage II street legal kit) on my '06 Ultra with a 95" build and they killed the performance - too much back pressure. Stay with your slip-on after-market mufflers and go with the 255 cams (worth as much as 5 HP and 5 #'s TQ over the stock 204's).Yes, the two kits are the same if you take the cat mufflers and the 255 cams away from the Stage II BB kit. My local dealer actually bored my cylinders out instead of replacing the jugs - he said that he had seen some of the kit cylinders that didn't mic out evenly all the way up and down the bore (not too good). I got a Stage II build for $1450.00 out the door including a download of map 106 for my SERT.
Thanks for all the info!

I've come accross, while reading about the SE kits, they are not up to par. It seems the more I find out about them...the more I should go with something better...but what?

That seems like a great price for you stage II. I was quoted like $2100...that's with 12.5 hours of labor. F*ckin stealers![:@] I guess they thought I would jump right on that! LOL

Old 02-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: fj4069

if you are not worried about a street legal kit sinse you got rid of the cats then ditch the se255 cams too. smog cams. tons of better cams to go with.
I guess I'm not worried about it anymore. LOL

Suggestions on a good build (kit)?

Old 02-15-2008, 04:59 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Not 103 but a 107 https://www.hdforums.com/m_2876484/m...tm.htm#2876484

Quick Reply: A couple questions...IRT SE street legal 103" kit