Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

D&D Interceptor Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008 | 08:10 PM
Bug
|
Road Master
Default D&D Interceptor Mufflers

Anyone have these? I am getting some on my Ultra.
I had CVO Screamin Eagle Slip-ons and I am getting the stage one air cleaner with the SERT and apparently the SE muffs were not high-flo enough.
I tried doing a search on the forum and nothing comes up. Not sure if the search is broken or just nothing has been posted about them.

Just looking for others impressions on, sound, performance, looks, etc.

Old 02-15-2008 | 04:29 PM
Bug
|
Road Master
Default RE: D&D Police Interceptor Mufflers

Well I just picked up my bike and all I can say is Wow! Better than I had hoped for.

The new mufflers sound great and from the short ride home it really pulls a lot harder.

I'll try to get it out this weekend and give it a more complete test drive. The weather is pretty sucky right now.

Anyone else have these mufflers?

Old 02-16-2008 | 06:57 AM
TNBagger
Cruiser

Bug, please post the results of your test ride with the new mufflers after a workout. I need quieter mufflersdue to bad tinnitus so I am interested in how they sound compared to stock as well as how your bike now runs. I noticed that the SS police mufflers on the D&D web site had a slightly golden color. Are yours colored or more chrome looking? Also, did you get a good price on them?

Old 02-16-2008 | 09:48 AM
Bug
|
Road Master

Hopefully will put some miles on it this Sunday. Tornados and big storms heading my way right now.

I would not characterize the mufflers as quiet. I only rode about 5 miles on them yesterday and while cruising, the sound for me, (the rider), is a nice rumble and did not interfere with the sound system, but with hard throttle they have a great bark. I drove into the the driveway and then garage and before getting off hit the throttle a couple of times and it can get pretty loud. After coming into the house I asked one of my daughters if they heard my new pipes and she said "Yeah I thought it was thunder."

The mufflers are polished stainless steel and have a chrome look not golden colored. I got them for $305 but I think they are usually about $395 to $450 depending on who you buy them from.

Here is a link: http://www.danddexhaust.com/catalog/2007/06/40812b.htm When I first posted this I thought what I had was the Police Interceptors because the tech called them Interceptors (which they may be called) but the model on the reciept is 408 12B and they look longer than the police versions.

Here is my dyno chart if you are interested. No engine mods on my 2007 Ultra with 96 ci other than the mufflers, stage I SE air cleaner, SE race tuner.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20078/A1E3E4CB1FF24381B27EDD5A0B952596.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-16-2008 | 09:57 AM
Bug
|
Road Master

This is the closest video clip I can find on the D&D site.

http://www.danddexhaust.com/catalog/mpeg/408-12T.mpg

Old 02-16-2008 | 11:58 AM
riconot
Advanced

I've put a few hundred miles on my '07 roadglide since adding D&D police interceptors. The first couple hundred were with no mods, just the mufflers. I immediately had a new feeling bike. It seemed to pull better, pull longer and was so fine while decelerating under compression. The sound was louder than stock and maybe a little lower note, but not much. I was happy with just the mufflers but decided to do a K&N and dynoed SERT to be safe. Things did get better, but just the mufflers were great. I had the bike dyno tuned at Latus in Portland. With just mufflers, I had a beautiful torque curve with max 66.22hp and 85.63 ft lb torque. After the AC and tuned Sert, I had 70hp and 87.01 ft lb torque. Before and after was the same until 3000 rpm but after the AC and tune, the torque and hp went higher and stayed longer. I'm too stupid to know how to post the chart, but it is very similar to BUG's. A very nice even curve. Bottom line, sweet performance with just the D&D mufflers and better with the tune. The stainless steel is highly polished but is just a tone off of chrome and I assume it will color a little. I like the look.

Old 02-16-2008 | 01:33 PM
TNBagger
Cruiser

Thanks for the reviews, guys. It looks like the police model is 408-14B so Bug must have gotten the louder pipes.

Old 02-16-2008 | 03:57 PM
Bug
|
Road Master

Yes, a little research on the Internet and it says on the Phat Performance site that the 408 12B is marketed as the "Big Boss" not the "Interceptor". The service rep said "Interceptor" before they were installed. Anyway I like the sound. I think the description below is about right, "Great aggressive sound on the throttle with milder note at cruising speed."

D&D 3-1/2" ‘Big Boss’ Back Cut Slip-On Exhaust - Dressers (95-UP)
[ul][*]D&D Performance-based 3 1/2" slip-on with Back Cut tip provides more power and more torque with the great Harley rumble.[*]This exhaust system is extended in length and comes with baffles[*]Pick up some easy horsepower and awesome sound with these high-performance slip-ons. Great aggressive sound on the throttle with milder note at cruising speed.[*]Double-chambered removable baffle core [/ul]

Old 02-17-2008 | 09:17 PM
Bug
|
Road Master

TNBagger,
I put about 150 miles on the bike today and put her through her paces.

As for the sound, the muffs I have are longer than the police interceptors which I think helps keep some of the sound level down while crusing for the rider.

These are not super loud when cruising. When you hit the throttle though the sound is pretty aggressive.

As for performance I am very pleased. Very responsive, pulls hard at almost any speed. Got up to 103 mph at some point during my ride according to my GPS and it still had more power to go.

I'm not sure what the difference in sound is between mine and the Police Interceptors but I am very pleased with mine.

Took the wife ona short ride to dinner tonight and she likes them as well.
-Bug

Old 02-18-2008 | 07:33 AM
TNBagger
Cruiser

Thanks for the report, Bug. I could tell from your dyno chart that your new D&D mufflers don't have a back pressure problem. It's nice living in the South where we can ride in Winter but last summer when it hit 106 here was a different story.

Quick Reply: D&D Interceptor Mufflers