Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

91 ultraclassic direct replacement engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Ultraclassic Jack
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 ultraclassic direct replacement engine?

I am unsure of what engine will fit my bike with little to no modifications.

I've been looking at engines online for a while yet but most of them say somthing like "direct replacement for soft tail" but those were solid mount engines and my dresser is rubber mount.

Would a newer style evo engine bolt right up?
I'd also like to upgrade to a 6 speed.. any problems there?

Engine size im looking at is 95ci+.. well basically biggest possible without running into major problems. what brands are out there that will provide and engine that will fit my bike?, besides harley. already got a quote from them *cringe*, that's why im now asking here.

my old 80ci is getting old.. 1/4 million miles old

wanting to replace my engine soon.. before springs rears its glorious snow melting head.

thanks in advance for any info.

Jack H.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 91 ultraclassic direct replacement engine?

You and your engine just go to show how good these things can be.

Having said that, something to think abouthere is,the last couple of years, everwhere, there is; "Made in USA", and "Made Somewhere Else". I don't care where, if it is done right. I'm a capitilist. But who can know???

Keep that in mine for the next 250,000 miles. It is mainly a matter of, "Quality Control".

Hell if they can't PAINT aTOY right, how about a ROD or CASE or a CAM or HEADS????

Our fault here too cause we let our own standards down. QC went out the window. Cost you in the long run.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:45 AM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd recommend the Factory Re-Manufacturing process.
That way you will retain your VIN and they replace the cases with brand new ones.
When you get the engine back it looks AWESOME! powder coated(not painted) cases,new chrome rocker boxes,nose cone.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

I think thats right.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Ultraclassic Jack
Novice

ORIGINAL: extech

I'd recommend the Factory Re-Manufacturing process.
That way you will retain your VIN and they replace the cases with brand new ones.
When you get the engine back it looks AWESOME! powder coated(not painted) cases,new chrome rocker boxes,nose cone.
I'm not looking to re-manufacture my engine.

im looking to get more power and a 6 speed

i ride the hell out of my bike and now im looking to go the next step to make something thats already fun that much "funner"

I was about to buy a brand new Ultra Classic but really did not care for the new bikes so i decided im gonna upgrade my old girl as much as i can... shes treated me well over the years and its about time i return the favor.

looking for someone who can give me advice or first hand experiance in changing out engines in this bike for a bigger, better, stronger one.. somthing i can really lay into.

im not one of those hardcore "made in the usa" type people... if china or japan makes a better engine for my bike then harley ill be more then welcome to use it.

thanks for the replys so far guys

Old 02-13-2008, 08:15 AM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

ultima sells a 113 120 127 and up. the 120 would be perfect for you. Bagger . and around 120 hp/tq out of the box @ 4,ooo shipped to your door aint bad either.
Brad

Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

I didn't mean, but I guess I gave the impression, that I am a, "Made in theUSA only type".

As I said I'm a capitalist. Made anywhere is OK. IF the standards a kept up. We can compeate with anybody straight up.

When some people, and this is just in general, try to keep cost down the first thing out the door sometime is QC. For instance, someone should have noticed that TOYS where painted with lead based paint before those things got onto the shelves in the USA, all the way from China.

I get on the band wagon because sometime back when I was working for Chevron we busted our butts to improve our QC. WE all had to go to school and learn all about "Edward Demming" and his methods that was used in Japan after the War. Look that up. Our chief compition was Japan.Japan did two things for us back in the 70's

1-Just about put the American Auto Industry out of business, and Harley.
2-Forced the American Auto Industry and Harley, to get off their duffs and compete but at least that was straight up. There was blood in the streets all over America. And they are still working on this.

Only thing I really meant was when I'm going down the road somewhere in the middle of nowhere I like to think the machine is real happy as it spinds around.

Havingsaid all that, I like you Ultra, went through sticker shock. Different ways to go, but all cost. I just said to hell with it, go for it, and ride.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Ultraclassic Jack
Novice

ORIGINAL: brad75raiders

ultima sells a 113 120 127 and up. the 120 would be perfect for you. Bagger . and around 120 hp/tq out of the box @ 4,ooo shipped to your door aint bad either.
Brad
what im worried about is clearance issues and issues with my rubber mounts

thebike is a pre-evo engined bike as well, so i believethe mounts may be different

maybe there's an adaptor kit??

*sigh*

on a side note: This is actually "jack's" son relaying the information given to him since he's in africa right now. he asked me to find out the information he needs so i can order the stuff for him when he gets back.

i know a fair bit about his bike. I'm am automotivemechanic as well, but im useless when it comes to bikes so some of the things im asking may seem like common knowledge to alot of you.

anyways thanks so far for the help.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:55 AM
Classic Beast
Tourer

Not to worry, plenty of complete engines to choose from. I put a 127" ultima in a 1995 softail it just fit, only had to move the coil it's been awsome so far, Jireh has some sales on these engines and lots are advertised on ebay. S&S also makes a great 107" designed for abagger http://www.ultimaproducts.com/engines.htmlCheck out the excerpt from the Ultima manual. These engines come complete with carb air cleaner, ignition preset at the factory. The only things missingare thetiming cover, a single fire coil, spark plugs and oil.

Installation Notes:
Ultima
® Engines should be installed by trained professional mechanics into motorcycle in which they were intended for use. Failure to do so
may result in injury and even death. It is the customer’s responsibility to insure their mechanic has proper training.
Fitment and Clearance Issues:
Every effort has been made to insure these engines will install into most available frame models without modifications. Some of the known
fitment issues we have encountered are listed below. Please read these carefully as they will aid in installation.
Fitment Issues: All Crank Cases
1. Ultima® crank cases are designed to fit most OEM motorcycles built from 1984-1999 using Evolution® style engines. On rubber mounted
engines please check that the front engine mount bracket weld or tab does not interfere with the case before final torque of the engine
mount bolts — clearance the bracket if needed.
2. On most FXR or bikes using midshift controls it may be necessary to clearance case for the inner shift arm.
Fitment Issues: Cylinder 100-107-113-120-127 Ci
1. On some frames using offset engines and forward controls it may be necessary to space the inner shift arm or the shifter mounting bracket
away from the front cylinder fins to provide adequate clearance between the shift arm or rod and the cylinder fins.
Fitment Issues: Cylinder Heads 100-107-113-120-127 Ci
1. If installing these engines into a Stock Style Softail® type frames it will be necessary to relocate the coil and bracket.
Fitment Issues: All 130 & 140 Ci
1. The Ultima® 130 Ci and 140 Ci engines are over 5/8” taller than a stock engine. These engines will fit in most Ultima® frames but other
aftermarket manufactured frames must be checked for fitment. All fitment issues for 100 Ci thru 127 Ci engines apply to the 130 Ci and 140 Ci.
The Ultima® 130 Ci and 140 Ci will require VERY heavy duty drive train components.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:10 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have just ordered an S&S V107T engine for my 1990 FLHS. Built as a touring engine specially for baggers. Go to their V-Series catalogue page 10:

http://www.true-track.com/

It is a bolt-in replacement. S&S recommend a stronger clutch spring, but as long as everything else is in good condition your primary drive, clutchand gearbox will be OK. Write to them for clarification, they replied quickly to me. I bought the IST version, for which a single fire coil is also required. Comes with a 3 year warranty, made in Viola Wisconsin.