Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

HELP... Idle cable problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:27 PM
melnikmd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP... Idle cable problems

Had some free time, since the snow started again. I decided to re-jet the carb and change over to braided cables. All went good until I started to adjust the cables. The idle cable looks like it has too much play. If I adjust the cable to take up the slack, I'm at the end of the adjuster. If I follow the manual and tighten untilthe cable touches the spring it looks like I have a lot of slack in the cable. Another note if I adjust to take up the slack, I have no return on the throttle, (grip is too tight). Cables are routed good, under the tank, and everything looks like it's working. Maybe I'm just paranoid (too many days without riding), but I don't need the idle cable jumping off the return spring on the carb.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: HELP... Idle cable problems

Check if the carb is level. If it is tilted up on whickever side the cable goes toit comes up shorter. I know this happens with a intake module on fuel injection. I managed to do that.

"Intake Modual" sounds so high faluting don't it??

Good luck

Old 02-08-2008, 09:18 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

melnik,
Are you adjusting the throttle cable for wide open first... before you try to take out the slack with the idle cable?
That thing about adjusting the idle cable until the spring touches never worked for me. Adjust the idle cable until the throttle just starts to stick with the handlebars turned full right, then back off the adjuster 3 or 4 flats.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:42 PM
melnikmd
Advanced

Thanks for the thoughts,

I stopped back at the mecs shop today, and got a couple of ideas to try. I think I was adjusting the idle without keeping the throttle full turn. Another thought is that the inner cable may have been cut too long from the factory. I'll try readjusting again, before trying another cable. Gives me a chance to take the bike for test runs on these cold days.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:19 AM
Rev00
Tourer

My Barnett Idle cable has the inner cable too long as well. I'm all the way out on the adjuster and there is still plenty of slack in it. No problems with stock cables but these were +4 although that should make no diff.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:49 AM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: melnikmd

I think I was adjusting the idle without keeping the throttle full turn.
You don't adjust the idle cable with the throttle full turn. First you adjust the throttle cableso you get wide open at the carburetor with the throttle (grip)held wide open, then you adjust the idle cable for the proper amount of slack with the throttle closed.