Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Lonshots vs. Big Shot Longs

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 02:53 PM
MB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lonshots vs. Big Shot Longs

Hey everyone, i am looking for clarification on the differences between these 2 V&H Systems. I know the Big shots employ a 1/4 diameter wider pipe and power chamber (not sure what this is, if someone would explain would appreciate). Aesthetically they appear to look identical with exception of visible variance due to pipe diameter. Both seem to employ heat shield, so to a newbie like me, it appears the cost difference really lies in the "power chamber". Assuming i am accurate, what is the power chamber and is it worth the cost? Would be putting new system on 05' Softail Deluxe when she arrives in June. thanks everyone,mb

Old 02-25-2005, 08:51 PM
TStewart20
Cruiser
Default RE: Lonshots vs. Big Shot Longs

I'm not sure about the big shot longs but I picked up my 05 Deluxe today and had a set of V&H long shots installed they look and sound sweet.[sm=bling.gif]

Old 02-27-2005, 11:40 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

MB the power chamber is a H connection from one pipe to the other for scavenging purpose's of the cylinders much like the stock exhaust on your Harley has a crossover tube that does the same thing, suppose to be better than just two pipe's like the Longshots but there is a big difference in price. []

Old 02-27-2005, 03:28 PM
nod
Intermediate

hmmmmmmm..... I am I right in saying the only difference in the Big Shot and the Big Shot Staggered is the hidden pipe connecting the two exhaust pipes? Do they both look the same when mounted on the bike? I leaning towards putting some money down on a soft tail standard next week. It would be delivered in April and I want the exhaust on it when I pick it up.

thanx, nod

edit for spelling

Old 02-27-2005, 04:28 PM
jstartz
Intermediate

The shields on the big shots hie the connection, so they look like long shots. I have tem on my 99 fat boy.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:01 AM
kray05
Intermediate

I installed the bigshots staggered on my deluxe 2 weeks ago. I also ordered the vance and hines quiet baffles. I highly recommend the baffles. The sound is deeper and not as crackly. Incredible sound.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:31 AM
investorsc
Road Master

Is there a real performance gain from the "H"pipe, or is it fluff?

BRUCE

Old 02-28-2005, 10:15 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

H pipe is going to give you better performance. X would be even better I would suppose, but I don't know of any available for bikes.

Mac

Old 02-28-2005, 12:16 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I thought the same thing Mac on the X design, so I did some research and there is a guy that made the X design pipe's but they look like crap but he also stated that you gain proformance by doing the X in the crossover, my problem in making them is I can't find a mandrel bender.[:'(] so I'm out of luck. investrorsc the H crossover is actually suppose to help, especially in the bottom end pull and mid range torque.

Old 03-08-2005, 05:09 PM
MB
Advanced

Hi guys, few more questions for you. It appears the only significant difference between the longshots and the big shot longs (aside from Big Shot longs being 1/4" wider diameter) is the power chamber. Operating on that assumption, i was told by a local service technician that the long shots actually decrease horsepower and torque slightly due to the loss of backpressure. Whether this is true or not, i'm not sure as not very mechanically inclined. However, it would appear to me that the Big Shot Longs would solve that problem by increasing back pressure, hence causing a slight horsepower gain. Is that the case or is my mode of thinking off the mark. Also, is there a difference in sound between the Big Shot Longs and the longshots. If so, which is louder and better sounding in your opinion. thanks for your help. MB

Quick Reply: Lonshots vs. Big Shot Longs