Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Bad Gas, the liquid type

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:29 PM
rex0350
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Gas, the liquid type

Has anyone ever gotten bad premium gas from the pump?

Long story short, I filled up my truck and bike at about the same time from the same premium pump and the gas ended up being bad. Both the truck and bike ran like crap for the entire tank.Drainedas much as I could from the bike and fillled it back with 87,it sputteredand back-fired for a little bitand the problemwent away. This was from a fairly busy EZ-Go, so I thought the gas would be good.

Now I'mgun-shy about getting premiumbecause I think thosetankssit alot longer between refills and alot of the crap settles and gets pumped into vehicles.

What has everyone else experienced with premium?

Old 02-04-2008, 11:51 PM
ZChan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bad Gas, the liquid type

ORIGINAL: rex0350
Has anyone ever gotten bad premium gas from the pump?
I think thosetankssit alot longer between refills and alot of the crap settles and gets pumped into vehicles.
With the price of gas, it seems that more and more people are using less and less of the good stuff in their SUV's. You're right about premium sitting around more, even at busy stations.When possible, I try to fill where the fancy sports cars fill up. And never fill up while thegas station is getting a delivery of fuel. Thatstirs up the muck from the bottom ofthe tank. But you probably knew that.Hope it doesn't happen again.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:20 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

In this day and age of rampant greed, I'm suprised that more folks don't have the "bad gas, poor gas" issue.
Heard awile back on another forum, that in and around the Chicago-land area, there were a ton of stations that tested positive for paint thinners in the gasoline. One way to get rid of it.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 AM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to use premium in my truck and both my bikes and I have never had any issues with getting bad gas at the pump. I wouldn't get worried about it unless it starts happening all the time. If your bike doesn't require 91 octane, then why were you putting it in thebike? It won't run any better unless you adjust the timing to go along with the higher octane fuel. If I could get away with 87 in all my vehicles, I wouldn't even think twice about buying the 87, why waste money.