Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Carb or EFI

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006 | 03:43 PM
vegashd
|
Banned
Default Carb or EFI

I am gettin ready to purchase a deuce. I am pretty sure it iwll be a deuce anyways. I was really wanting a carb bike but have now been thinking that an EFI bike will not be to bad. What is everyones decision on this.
I can tune a carb and tuning a programmer is not hard either as I have the best Tuner in the world at my dispossal. Half of the tunes for some bikes on Dynojets website came from me.

I just do not know which route I want to go.

Old 01-16-2006 | 04:47 PM
lakebum
Advanced
Default RE: Carb or EFI

Wish I could help you with the EFI question, but I'm old school and believe in carbs on bikes. I know when the Harley EFI first came out it was'nt cuttin' the mustard, but they've improved it so much that I think its now a viable option. If you don't mind the "electronic tuning" and all that goes with it, you may just like it.

Of course EFI fuel metering is more precise than a carb and I've heard of good cold running characteristics with it as well as gas mileage.

I like carbs cause I understand them and know what to do if it does'nt work right, plus I know the performance is there. Unless you're up to date, EFI variables can leave you scratching your head when its not right.

Guess I haven't told you anything you don't already know, and please guys, don't give me crap about not prefering EFI.

Just like I said, "I'm old school" and I like things that are long time proven.

Old 01-16-2006 | 05:00 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Half of the tunes for some bikes on Dynojets website came from me.

With a statement like that, there should be no decision to make here

Old 01-16-2006 | 07:51 PM
aal
Cruiser

I think you just have to get what you "like." I've had several carbureted and one fi HD. I like carbureted. But the fi was fine, and didn't cause me any problems. I also had a bmw with fi, and the throttle response on that was right on; better than the HD. But I didn't have a SERT or anything special with my HD fi. I'm guessing that all in all, you can dial in a fi bike better than a carbureted bike. Still, I like carburetors; I just think they're more fun.

Old 01-17-2006 | 03:25 AM
vegashd
|
Banned

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

Half of the tunes for some bikes on Dynojets website came from me.

With a statement like that, there should be no decision to make here

heres the biggest against it i have.

I have a custom halfway started. It will be a little bobber type of bike. a stock motor form an HD would work in it perfectly. I could pull my stock motor and move it if it was a carbed bike. EFI it would be harder.

I then would replace the motor in the bike with an aftermaket motor.

I am now thinking that i could just get a take out motor from someone who is upgrading. It would be pretty cheap if someone had a few thousand miles on one and wanted an S&S etc.

I have had aquite a few bikes and seen as how dynojet is here in town and i know all tose guys wel i often help getting them what they need.

ON a side note, if someone wants a dyno day and free tuning I can help you out.