Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Can I run my motorcycle with new exhaust before I put a fuel management system on

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:36 AM
doug garrison
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I run my motorcycle with new exhaust before I put a fuel management system on

I have a 2003 FLHR/I Roadking. I purchased the "Bassani True Dual Power Curve" I want to install them now. I am going to purchase a Big sucker stage I intake, but I have not decided on which brand of fuel management system. My choices are the Vance and Hines fuel pak, Bassani BX-043-51 EFI tuner, Power Commander III, RevTech DFO, and Dynatek FI controller.Will it hurt the motor, if I install the exhaust without the fuel management system???? If anyonehas any information on the systems I am thinking about, I would appreciate any input.

Thank you

Old 01-26-2008, 12:13 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Can I run my motorcycle with new exhaust before I put a fuel management system on

you can with just the exhaust, but when you put on the new Air Cleaner, big sucker, you will need the fuel management system.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:22 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Can I run my motorcycle with new exhaust before I put a fuel management system on

ORIGINAL: doug garrison

I have a 2003 FLHR/I Roadking. I purchased the "Bassani True Dual Power Curve" I want to install them now. I am going to purchase a Big sucker stage I intake, but I have not decided on which brand of fuel management system. My choices are the Vance and Hines fuel pak, Bassani BX-043-51 EFI tuner, Power Commander III, RevTech DFO, and Dynatek FI controller.Will it hurt the motor, if I install the exhaust without the fuel management system???? If anyonehas any information on the systems I am thinking about, I would appreciate any input.

Thank you
You could run it as is..............but it will be running lean and the potential is there for overheating and engine damage. It's always smart to do the fuel management system if you are doing both air cleaner and exhaust change.

Out of the ones you listed, I prefer and recommend the Power Commander. It is very user-friendly and it is very popular with the dyno-tuners so they can work on your bike easier. I would actually recommend going with a DTT auto-tune system or a Thundermaxx auto-tune system. They self-adjust to your bike and any changes you might make in the future. They cost a bit more upfront, but in the long run it will save you a lot of money and headaches.

Steve

Old 01-26-2008, 03:43 PM
doug garrison
4th Gear

Steve thank you for your time and opinion. I will wait until I get the intake and fuel management system and I will look into the ones you suggested. again thanks.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:22 PM
08Fatty
Tourer

Take a look at the Terminal Velocity II, Yet another option but it has worked very well for me.