Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

t max bad mpg

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 05:51 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts
Default t max bad mpg

I install my tmax unit I also clear the learn fuel adjustment and learned idle control adjustment, did the warm up procedure. After 86 miles I check the mpg and it is about 26.5 I have been riding in the city and country but this seems a little low. Is this normal until the bike gets some more miles on it. I wonder if my timing is retarded to fare

07 road king
big sucker a/c
rush slip-ons 2.0
map 392 lean out the cruse range 2816-3072 from 13.5 to 13.8

Old 01-12-2008, 06:08 PM
ROADRAGE98
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: t max bad mpg

Yeah, thats way low. Unless you are doing a lot of dragging. I have the exact set up on my 07 Roadglide as yours. Big sucker and 2.0 Rushes. I went with the Fuelpak and have been averaging around 38 to 42 on combined city-hwy. I'm very pleased with the results.
I would look at the set-up with the t-max again. See if there is a change you can make. I don't know a lot about them, but I would change the settings. If that doesn't work think about returning the t-max and go with a different fuel management system.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:34 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got a Tmax with Auto tune-
I called Pete at Zippers and he walked me through my set up and Map- I am not a ( PC Tech type person ).
I did a download of latest version software, and cleared out settings and went for the new map he suggested.

Bike got about 42- 44 mpg before I changed in cams. Also, short rides of 15 miles or so were recommended so Tmax would learn quicker than just doing a long Hwy ride.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:34 PM
BlackMarshmallow
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny~I'm looking for the same answer. My mpg averages around 28 and I do 12 miles back and forth every day to work. I was starting to think it was the fact that I start up/warm up twice daily and do a relatively short trip. I've been "thinking mpg" every day and not blipping the throttle and not really doing much of a warm up, just getting the oil flowing and warm cylinders and go. Checked yesterday and 28.82mpg! I was kind of reserving judgement till I get a chance to take a longer trip, but the weather has been crappy lately.
I also went through a little bad patch with my tmax shutting off completely and actually took to riding with the stock ecm and a roll of duct tape in the saddle bag. Called them up and they sent me an updated version of the firmware and I cleared and reloaded everything. I'm about 250 miles on this setup and haven't had any further problems, but they didn't start showing up the first time until I had miles on the setup, so. . . .
Back to the fuel economy thing~Does anyone have any ideas what to do here? My mpg wasn't THAT great before I changed the ECM. In fact, come to think about it it was very nearly the same. I always put in about 4-4.5 gallons right around 132 miles or so. I'm 6'3" and weigh 220, but I see guys riding full on UltraClassics whoare MUCH bigger than me and claiming 45-50 mpg. Hmmm

Old 01-12-2008, 10:54 PM
ubreal
Road Master

I thought that was pretty bad mpg I will give it 200 miles and see what happens before I adjust any thing but I think that the timing is to retarded in the cruse range. The thing I can not understand is how you know if you are to advance I think it will ping. At idle it runs ruff I move the timing up to see what happens and the bike seem to run smoother but I chicken out and put it back.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:00 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your not going to get good fuel mileage running in the 13's AFR for your cruise setting. By default the Tmax runs in the low 13's in closed loop mode.

I know we are all stigmatized to thinking running in the 14's is bad as that is where the stock setup is. But your not going to get good fuel mileage until you bring your cruise up into the 14's range. Remember your bike is going 65 to 70 mph. The wind is blowing through the cooling fins doing its job. Where the stock bike runs into problems is being set too high at idle or close to idle when the air moving by isn't enough to cool the bike. Don't be afraid and try different settings in the 14's at cruising speeds. Try 14.2 and see how she does.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:34 AM
ubreal
Road Master

Sounds good I will raise the afr to 14.2 and see what happens. At stock it was 14.7 but 26.5 to a gal. It got to be something else. I know that when I put the Tmax on my bike my bike runs hotter then with the power commander and the sert; I use to worry about it not being hot enough to evaporate the moister in the engine.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:45 AM
fxrp
Cruiser

Guys, here's a graph I got from another site. Set your throttle positions up like this from 1792 to 3584 RPM. You'll get good mileage at cruise and have good power when you twist it. You can tweak it to your liking from here.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29873/AB6CEB7E146F426780921B5FEFFAD1B1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-13-2008, 12:46 PM
ubreal
Road Master

Thanks I will try this map to see what happens. Can anybody out there with a 07 send me a copy of your map so I can compare it with mine. ubreal@charter.net

Thank you
bob

Old 01-13-2008, 01:21 PM
bluhogrider
6th Gear

Hey fxrp, Can I ask you what site you got the map from that you posted here. Just love doing Tmax research. Email me ( bluhogrider@yahoo.com)

[IMG]local://upfiles/48346/00DBE997FC8743CAAAF727AB17A7F163.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: t max bad mpg